We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milazzo port to train

Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
Milazzo port to train

Hello,

I just booked some tickets for Siremar ferry and Trenitalia. I am a little nervous about the time frame. We are taking the train from Cefalu to Milazzo and get in at 12:30. We have to catch a ferry at 14:00 to get to Salina. Is this enough time to make the ferry?

On our return we are taking the ferry back to Milazzo and arrive at 11:45. We need to catch a train to Messina at 12:30. Is this possible? We don't mind taking a taxi if that will make it less stressful. Please let me know if I should keep this plan or look into another solution.

Thanks!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Milazzo port to train

It's impossible to say, because these trains are often delayed. If the train were to arrive on time, then you would be fine, because the local AST buses between the train station and port are reliable.

You would be fine on the return, because the ferry schedules are generally reliable.

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Milazzo port to train

Thank you Vagabonda! I was mostly worried about the return because if we miss that train there doesn't appear to be any others. You think 45 minutes is enough to get from the port to catch the train?

On the way there we have an hour and a half between departures. I think there is another ferry if we miss the 2:00.

Do you think I should just keep these reservations and hope for the best? Is renting a car in Milazzo and returning it in Catania a few days later also a good option? We would then drive to Taormina and stay 2 nights before heading back to the the Catania airport.

If I keep the current plans with the train and bus we also will need to get to Catania by bus on a Sunday. Is that possible? The interbus website doesn't seem to be working for me.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,928 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Milazzo port to train

Prego Lejaw,

Unless there are weather related issues, the ferries are 'usually' on schedule.

There's more of a chance that the train would be late than that the ferry would be late. Disembark as quickly as possible. Buses quickly connect from the port to the station. Of course, nothing is guaranteed. You might prefer the flexibility of purchasing the tickets at the port.

You might not require the car in Taormina, and parking can be challenging in Taormina.

If you plan to stay in Taormina, then you wouldn't require the car. If you plan to take day trips to places like wineries or Savoca, then you would appreciate the car.

But if you hire a car, return the car at Catania's airport, and not in Catania.

Yes, there's direct Etna Trasporti Interbus service from Taormina to Catania and Aeroporto Catania on Sundays. Use the Italian (not English-language) website to check schedules.

Vagabonda

Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Milazzo port to train

I appreciate all your help! I am going to keep the reservations and hope for the best. If we miss the 2:00 ferry to Salina can we just catch the next one?

I am just not sure what we would do if we miss the train from Milazzo to Messina on the way back. There doesn't seem to be another. What would we do in that situation?

I got the interbus site to work. There is one bus from Taormina that we definitely need to catch to make our flight. It is the first one of the day at 8:45. Do these fill up and are they best purchased in advance?

New York
Level Contributor
26 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milazzo port to train

I'm not sure if you've already traveled or not but I've taken 5 ferries for the islands in the past few days and not one of them was on time. Not one! Also if you are in Milazzo on Sunday no buses run to the station and during the week I don't find them to be reliable, so a taxi, though a rip-off, is your best bet. Also of note - there is no activity in the way of cafés etc around the station so bring food with you if you need it. The Milazzo station is a dismal place and I wish I had known that before my two hour layover there or I would have stayed at the port.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,928 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Milazzo port to train

Crossings are typically close to time, weather and sea conditions dependent.

AST does not run the local bus service between Milazzo's port and Milazzo's train station on Sundays, but the service is again fairly reliable during weekedays.

A taxi is surely the most convenient transport.

Why is a taxi a rip-off?

Expect to pay €15 for a taxi from Milazzo’s port to Milazzo’s train station.

And you typically wouldn't want to spend time at train stations anywhere.

Vagabonda

Goodlettsville...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Milazzo port to train

I'm having trouble getting the schedule for the bus between the Milazzo train and the port, and wondered if you could help? I get a runtime error that talks about remote access being denied, and I'm not clever enough or computer savvy enough to fix it! We would probably arrive on the 13:00 train from Messina to Milazzo, and return on the 16:57 train. Or do you think the Giuntabus is better to take than the train? It looks like there is a bus from Messina at 12,50 and a bus back at 16,30. We will be there on a Friday in late September.

Thank you for your help.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,928 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Milazzo port to train

It's a local bus (Linea 5) and typically buses greet arriving ferries.

…barcellona-pozzo-di-gotto.me.it/storage/126…

But transport schedules update in September!

Vagabonda

Goodlettsville...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Milazzo port to train

Thank you for your help--it's hard to know what is the best way to get between the 2 cities, but we are looking forward to our visit. We have been to Taormina several times, and thought it would be nice to see another city. Do you have any other suggestions or recommendations?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,928 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Milazzo port to train

When will you arrive?

Why not take the direct hydrofoil service from Messina?

Or take Giuntabus or Giuntabus Trasporti from Messina to Milazzo.

Vagabonda

Edited: 27 July 2014, 23:23
Get answers to your questions about Milazzo