We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding - but where if not Siena?

Which Montepulciano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, England
12 posts
Save Topic
Wedding - but where if not Siena?

Hi

My fiance and I had our hearts set on a wedding in Siena, a place we have been to a number of times and loved. However, the only date we can do is 11th August and it is just before the Palio so there will be scaffolding up in the square and sand on the floor.

We were hoping to have an informal affair - inviting friends along (rather than paying for them, unfortunately we don't have a large budget!) - and paying for a meal in a restaurant on the Campo during the evening. Our idea was to invite people out for the week before (or as much / little as they wanted, most people would come for a day or 2 so taking over an agritorismo might not be possible) to spend some tiome together before the wedding. We thought in Siena there would be enough for people to see and do without bumping into each other all over the place. We would only be inviting about 15 other people - can anyone recommend any other places we could consider which would make a magical wedding location? I thought of Pienza and Certaldo but I am not sure if they are too small.

Any 'expert' advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Tuscany
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding - but where if not Siena?

I am, probably, a bit "interested" but I would suggest Montepulciano (I live here), it's bigger than the other places you mentioned; the only problem could be that in those days (between 10th and 16th August) there will be a popular show named Bruscello and there will be the background scene just in front of the Duomo.

Good luck and congratulations!!

Regards,

Lorena

pienza
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding - but where if not Siena?

Is it too late? sorry but I joined just few days ago!

well I support the option of Pienza, small but not so small to get bored!!! and you can still find accomodation in agriturismo for just some days! please answer back if you need help! gs

Orlando FL
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding - but where if not Siena?

Certaldo is perfect! Our daughter was married there last June and we had 120 guests. The civil ceremony in the old Town Hall couldn't have been more picturesque. The bride and her dad came up the hill from the funicular and tourists and townsfolk followed and looked out of windows as the wedding guests looked on. If you are not doing the civil ceremony in Italy (there is a great deal of paperwork and red tape and, frankly, if you aren't already well into the process, you'd better get started to marry in Italy this August), there is a lovely winery outside of Certaldo where we stayed and had the traditional ceremony (protestant.) tenutadisticciano.it/tenuta_di_sticciano_eng… They have several buildings—some with lovely rooms and some with very nice apartments, which keeps the cost down. They can handle a nice meal for the number of people you anticipate, or they can use a caterer for a larger group. BYO minister, if you want a protestant ceremony—they are hard to come by in Italy. It’s the civil ceremony that counts there, so you don’t have to worry about properly licensed clergy unless that is important to you. If you want help with planning, I have someone I can recommend highly, but will have to dig out her email address. Certaldo is easily accessible from Florence by train, but if you go for the winery, you will need a car.

Ajijic, Mexico
Level Contributor
2 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding - but where if not Siena?

There's a fairly famous villa near Montepulciano called La Foce (www.lafoce.com) that would make a great site for a wedding and could accommodate many guests in a variety of different guest houses.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,465 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding - but where if not Siena?

The cathedral in Pienza is not small even if the town is. My wife and I had a very enjoyable holiday staying at the Relais Il Chiostro in a converted monastery in Pienza, close to the cathedral. It has a good restaurant.

New Hampshire
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding - but where if not Siena?

Whatever you do, don't give up on Siena!! Just 3 miles outside of the city of Siena is a magical little villa run by two sisters who have had it in their family for many years! They have vineyards, and olive groves and serve their own wine. After spending several weeks all around Tuscany eating wonderful food, my husband & I agree that the food at our little villa totally trumped EVERY restaurant we ate at. The best part is that the two sisters treat you TRULY like family- - -at first I thought it was odd and a bit overboard - -the way they initially greeted us.......only to discover how genuine they were!..... they really do LOVE what they do and extend themselves to you like dear old friends or relatives. GET THIS- -they have a little chapel right on the grounds and their prices are unbelievably reasonable. They only have four suites so some of your guests will have to stay in town or in another home nearby, but that minor inconvenience will be worth it for your dream wedding. I beleieve the the owners are Mikki & Marika Abruzzo- - -if you're still looking, e-mail me & I'll find the info you need to get in touch.

u4eeya@paris.com

7. Re: Wedding - but where if not Siena?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 15:17