We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vino Nobile...Montepulciano

WI
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vino Nobile...Montepulciano

I realize this cut/paste thing doesn't work on tripadvisor (see previous brunello di montalcino post), but I'm afraid I'll have to do this again.

We'd also like to see some wineries in Montepulciano. Any recommendations here?

http://www.stradavinonobile.it/degustazioni_res.uk.php?tipo=all&itin=all&XX-action=Go+on+%3E%3E

Tuscany
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vino Nobile...Montepulciano

Hi Italia07,

among the most famous wineries, I'd suggest Avignonesi and Contucci (two of the best); among the less famous ones, I'd suggest Il Conventino, Il Greppo and I Cipressi.

If you're interested in visiting the wine cellars too, keep in mind Cantine Redi near the main square because it's an histrical cellar (15th century one).

I hope I've been helpful, enjoy your visit, regards

Lorena

WI
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vino Nobile...Montepulciano

Grazie Lorena!

I've saved your suggestions in My Trip. It's so hard to know which ones are a "Must See"...there are so many to choose from!

One more question regarding winery tour etiquette. Do most wineries require you to tour the estate, vineyards, cellars, etc. and then sample the wine? Or do some only allow you to taste/purchase (like just a tasting room, no tour). We'd like to do maybe one tour, but our feeling is once you've seen one winery, the rest are pretty much the same. It's the wine that is unique at each location and we'd like to see a few places each day (limited time) and not spend the whole day touring wineries. Hope this makes sense.

Palos Verdes, CA
Level Contributor
29 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vino Nobile...Montepulciano

We just returned and loved the Castello Winery tasting room in Montalcino. This is about 40 minutes from Montepulciano. They have a large tasting room similiar to the larger wineries in Napa/Sonoma. There is also a wonderful restaurant on premises (Il Taverna). You need to make reservations in advance, however.

Banfi did not require that you take a tour in order to taste the wines. We personally found the brunello wines to be better than the Vino Nobile's but both are pretty tasty.

We really wanted to go to the Barbi tasting room as well but were unable to find it. We prefer to taste directly at the individual wineries rather than the enoteca's as the ambiance seems to add something to the experience.

Have a wonderful trip!

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,588 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vino Nobile...Montepulciano

The nice wine tasting room/shop on the main road in Montepulciano will also allow tastings without any tours. We found the folks there to be very knowledgeable and courteous. I believe it is run by the local control board/growers assn.

Tuscany
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vino Nobile...Montepulciano

Thank you Roadgard, you've been quicker than me :-)

Yes you can taste wines all along the main street, nobody will ask you to buy wine, you'll do it just if you want. If you want to see even a wineyard the Avignonesi has probably the best tour.

Hope I've bee helpful, regards,

Lorena

Grj
Berkshire
Level Contributor
11 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vino Nobile...Montepulciano

Cantina Crociani is good and has a lovely shop at the far end ot town away from the main tiurists haunts

Canada
Level Contributor
670 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vino Nobile...Montepulciano

Hi,

We are going to Montepulciano in May and I saw your post on Tripadvisor and wondered if you had any suggestions now that you have been, as to which wineries you would go to?

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,708 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vino Nobile...Montepulciano

Lexie

grj and Italia 07 do not appear to be active on TA at the moment. If you want a reply probably best to send a personal message and they will get an email alert.

Southern Tuscany
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vino Nobile...Montepulciano

Lexie, check out Avignonesi. I've done many, many wine tours all over the country but the one here really is good. You can have lunch there too. Make sure you book in advance though for both:

www.avignonesi.com

You'll need a car though as the vineyard isn't in the town itself, it's about 20 mins away. Let me know if you need any more info.

Canada
Level Contributor
670 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vino Nobile...Montepulciano

Hi Catie.........you're right Avignonesi is amazing. We have stayed at an Agriturismo near there many times and it is the one winery we have been to near Montepulciano. Highly recommend it to everyone. This time we are staying closer to Montepuliciano and thought we'd try some other vineyards. Probably won't find anywhere quite as special as Avignonesi though.

Thanks for the suggestion.