We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need tips on Parking in Tuscan hill towns

Which Montepulciano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
denver
12 posts
Save Topic
Need tips on Parking in Tuscan hill towns

Hello,

I've been to Italy many times but have always relied on trains to get around. In December I'll be back and driving in Tuscany for the first time. We'll be staying in Montepulciano. Any advice on where to park? We will go to Montalcino, Volterra, Chiusi, and other hill towns. What type of signs do you look for? Whom do you pay?

Thanks for your help.

United States
Level Contributor
9,587 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need tips on Parking in Tuscan hill towns

Usually outside the towns there will be public parking lots marked with a blue sign with a white P. Those are mostly free. If there is parking marked with blue lines, those are pay areas or there are marked pay lots. There will be a machine somewhere nearby that you feed coins into for the amount of time you want to stay and then you will get a receipt to put on your dash board. There is also a parking disc system but I never found that type of parking.

www.slowtravel.com has a whole site about the different types of parking available and pictures of the machines.

In Montepulciano there are several lots at the bottom of the town that I remember as being free. If you are staying there, your hotel may have parking available nearby and can give you more directions.

TAB

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need tips on Parking in Tuscan hill towns

As TAbarrett correctly explains there really is no mistaking where to park. Every town you mention has many spots to park and they are plain to see.

I second the slow travel website not only fro the driving tips but for any other more detailed questions on eating, sleeping and seeing.

peace

UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need tips on Parking in Tuscan hill towns

Hi,

Parking in Montepulciano is pretty good, there is plenty of it. We were there in Spetember and had no trouble finding free parking that was an easy walk from the main street.

Regarding Montalcino, go as far as you can. You can park near the "Castle", not free, but very handy.

Regarding Volterra, we travelled there on our way from Montepulciano to Lucca, intending to spend a few hours there. This was a nightmare we arrived probably around 11.30am, but could not find a parking place. Seems we arrived in the middle of market day. We did not get to see Volterra.

If I remember correctly Blue lines means you pay and white lines means it's free. It's certainly not any more expensive than the UK.

4. Re: Need tips on Parking in Tuscan hill towns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 01:16