We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why do people think there's no train to Montepulciano?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Why do people think there's no train to Montepulciano?

I have often seen posts reporting that there is NO train station in Montepulciano.

The thing is I looked it up on railrocket and there is a number of trains that go from Chiusi to Montepulciano.

I am taking a train at 8.05am from Cortona ( Camucia station) via Chiusi arriving in Montepulciano at 9.29am.

Please tell me the station at Montepulciano exists!!!!!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why do people think there's no train to Montepulciano?

I think because there's no train station in Montepulciano "proper". If you look on a map, the train line just doesn't go through there. It goes through a "frazione" ("suburb", in the loosest sense of the word, that doesn't quite cover it but I can't think of an English word) of Montepulciano called, appropriately, "Montepulciano Stazione". It looks like the station is about 5 miles (guessing) from the "actual" town of Montepulciano. No idea what transport from there is like - I imagine there's a bus but then I think there's also a bus from Chiusi so it might not be worth changing there and changing again, if you see what I mean.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why do people think there's no train to Montepulciano?

Thanks Vicki for the heads up! My goodness, 5 miles!!! That's why they say No station in Montepulciano!

Okay, better to get train from Cortona to Chiusi....now where do I find a timetable for buses to Montepulciano?

Look forward to all replies.

Cheers,

:o)

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why do people think there's no train to Montepulciano?

The buses are run by LFI - www.lfi.it/servizi_linee_lfi_si-mob.asp

T2, T4 and T5 all seem to connect Montepulciano with Chiusi. If you look at the timetables, there are two stops in Chiusi, "citta" and "scalo". To judge from where the railway line goes, it will be the "Scalo" stop that you want. I strongly suspect that there will be other people doing the same thing as you (as I'm fairly sure this is the route to Montepulciano recommended by various travel guides) and I would think there will be some sort of tourist info place at or near the station.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,661 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why do people think there's no train to Montepulciano?

According to the Touring Club Italiano map of Toscana the Montepulciano railway station is about 12 kilometres east of Montepulciano town.

Oslo
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Why do people think there's no train to Montepulciano?

The "safest" way to go to Montepulciano by train and connecting busline, is to go via Chiusi, because the fast ICE trains from Rome and Firenze make a stop there ( while they don't stop at the Montepulciano station) Some more local trains stop at M.station, but there are few buses from there to Montepulciano "proper", while the buses from Chiusi run regularly to M, reportedly every hour (and takes about 50 minutes).

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why do people think there's no train to Montepulciano?

Thanks Cowboy!

7. Re: Why do people think there's no train to Montepulciano?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 20:20