We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montepulciano : 5 days Itinerary

Sydney
Level Contributor
345 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Montepulciano : 5 days Itinerary

We are leaving for Tuscany in 4 weeks and now its the fine tuning stage.Would anyone like to give us suggestions for day excursions for 5 days.Been reading and reading but can't quite understand the distances ; how long it'll take to get to the various towns; how long we'll spend in those towns.Know we can't see everything but would like to have a rough idea so as NOT to make too many mistakes...please help.Would love the same for Umbria too please with Todi as our base.

Grazie Mille!!!

Mentioned in this post
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Todi
Todi
Province of Perugia, Italy
DFW, TEXAS
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montepulciano : 5 days Itinerary

You can go onto Michelin.com and click on for All your Travels and then on travel guides maps etc, where you can enter the name of the town where you are and want to go to on diving instructions and it will give how long and how far, mapquest also does this also.

There are many towns around Montalpucino for day trips. Montalcino to the west, a short jaunt, Oriveto a little further south. Siena a little north, Volterra and San Gimignano a little further north, Assisi and Perugia east and there are other little towns within the area. There is Gubbio, Spello, Spelota, Orivieto, Assisi and Perugia are in Umbria and near Todi.

Mentioned in this post
Montalcino
Montalcino
Province of Siena, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Volterra
Volterra
Province of Pisa, Italy
San Gimignano
San Gimignano
Province of Siena, Italy
Assisi
Assisi
Perugia
Perugia
Gubbio
Gubbio
Spello
Spello
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Todi
Todi
Southern Tuscany
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Montepulciano : 5 days Itinerary

I'll happily help you with approx driving times but Via Michelin probably more accurate, especially for the longer trips, also depends how fast you drive! From Montepulciano: Pienza, allow an hour here for a leisurely amble around, maybe an additional 30 mins if you want to visit the Diocesan Museum and/or the Palazzo Piccolomini and its peaceful garden with great view (town's a 10 mins drive).

San Quirico 10 mins further on is worth a quick detour as it's relatively unspoilt and has two nice churches plus a small pretty garden with sculptures, 30 mins here.

Montalcino, 30 mins drive, you could spend anything from 30 mins to 2 hrs here.

Siena, going via the A1 I usually do in 40 mins but allow an hour. Allow at least half a day to enjoy it properly. Drive back the beautiful road across the Crete via Asciano and Lucignano d'Asso stopping where you want en route. Allow a couple of hours for this.

Firenze is another place that can take 70 mins on a good day or approaching 2 hrs on a bad one! Hope it's good though you may prefer to take the train as parking's a pain if you're not sure where.

San Gim's 90 mins or so going the A1 via Bettole and Siena (this is a good road and far easier drive than via Buonconvento on the Cassia). Allow a couple of hours here.

Don't forget the smaller villages closer to home though too. The little hill towns on the Crete already mentioned (Castelmuzio, Petroio, Montisi, et al) plus Montefollonico, Monticchiello. Going the other way, San Casciano dei Bagni very beautiful, very fashionable and famous now due to another of Elena di Blassi's books someone was telling me recently. Another friend told me not to mention Cetona on TA ever again either as they don't want to be overrun with tourists, so please don't go there(!). En route to the last two, Sarteano has it's fans here but you have to brave indescribably ugly suburbs to see the best bits in the old town. Think this should keep you busy for 5 days, enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Palazzo Piccolomini
Palazzo Piccolomini
521 Reviews
Orvieto, Italy
Montalcino
Montalcino
Province of Siena, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Crete
Crete
Greece
Lucignano d'Asso
Lucignano d'Asso
45 Reviews
San Giovanni d'Asso, Italy
San Casciano Dei Bagni
San Casciano Dei Bagni
85 Reviews
San Casciano dei Bagni, Italy
London
Level Contributor
456 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Montepulciano : 5 days Itinerary

Hi

CatieC has said a lot but I think she forgot one of the most lovely villages near Montepulciano: Bagno Vignoni. You could go there after your visit to Pienza, it is less than 15 minutes by car and you'll drive trhough the Val d'Orcia to get there.

If you like Etruscan do not miss the Tomba Quadrica Infernale in Sarteano, I think you need to book the visit but I don't have any more info at this time and Chiusi Città for the Labirinto di Porsenna, an underground Etruscan itinerary.

The garden of Villa La Foce is worth a visit, but I remember is open only on wednesday afternoon. From the belvedere in that area yuo can watch a breathtaking sunset just behind the famous cypresses road designed by Cecil Pinset and Iris Origo. You could go there after your stop at Bagno Vingoni, 20 minutes more or less and from there there's a white road that leads to Montepulciano.

Enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Bagno Vignoni
Bagno Vignoni
Province of Siena, Italy
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Val d'Orcia
Val d'Orcia
305 Reviews
Tuscany, Italy
La Foce
La Foce
185 Reviews
Chianciano Terme, Italy
DFW, TEXAS
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montepulciano : 5 days Itinerary

Well I will have to keep this post as we will be going down towards montalpucino and montalcino and the last 2 post made me think there is more to see then the usual towns.

Sydney
Level Contributor
345 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montepulciano : 5 days Itinerary

Thanks....You guys are amazing...I posted this late last night ( Sydney time)Its now early am Thursday ...yes as you can see I'm totally addicted to T.A.My husband says quote " obsessive?/ compulsive"

Thanks especially Catie, you always come to the rescue.We are going to be in Firenze for 4 days( at the beginning of our trip )before we hire the car then to Umbria/ Tuscany.The 5 days is just for S.Tuscany and a further 5 for Umbria .Thereafter walking in Chianti San Gim and Siena at the end .

Sooooooooooooooo excited now!

Mentioned in this post
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Sydney
Level Contributor
345 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montepulciano : 5 days Itinerary

Meggy, thanks for reminding me about La Foce.I read about it ages ago and have been searching through my endless notes...thank you thank you.I also read about a restaurant there .is it a must???Any other trattorias we need to know about ?????

Mentioned in this post
La Foce
La Foce
185 Reviews
Chianciano Terme, Italy
Southern Tuscany
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Montepulciano : 5 days Itinerary

You know, Meggy, I haven't been to Bagno Vignoni since autumn 1992 when we viewed a house to buy between this village and Ripa d'Orca. Didn't like the house so somehow have never been back, crazy but true. Will go back again later in the year when it's cold and you see all the steam rising. So, TA not only great for people coming here on vacation but v useful for residents too! bvlenci mentioned Sovana the other day and the last time we were here (and at nearby Pitigliano) was on the same '92 trip. Plan to re-visit them one weekend soon as this really is the hidden corner of Tuscany. (I actually thought they were in Lazio.) There's an Englishwoman in the next village to us, been here years, but never goes anywhere reckoning she's now a "real Tuscan" and is only interested in her own immediate surroundings. Not only pretentious but extremely foolish when you think just how much there is to see within a few hours drive of here.

Mentioned in this post
Bagno Vignoni
Bagno Vignoni
Province of Siena, Italy
Lazio
Lazio
Italy
London
Level Contributor
456 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Montepulciano : 5 days Itinerary

I've stopped twice at the restaurant at La Foce but I was not so happy with it.

Here are some restaurants and trattoria that I really like:

Sarteano: Osteria da Galliano, Trattoria Tripolitana and Taverna di Merlino, tiny places but great homemade pasta (pici).

Pienza: Latte di Luna, Sette di Vino

Cetona: Da Nilo and Spirito di Vino

Bagno Vignoni: I can't remember the name but is on the right side as you walk from the parking to the piazza just after an antique shop.

Montepulciano: I've been to the one in front of San Biagio almost 5 years ago, it was quite good, may be someone can tell you something more about it.

Mentioned in this post
La Foce
La Foce
185 Reviews
Chianciano Terme, Italy
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Bagno Vignoni
Bagno Vignoni
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Sydney
Level Contributor
345 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Montepulciano : 5 days Itinerary

We are def.planning to visit Pitigliano.Is it closer to Montepulciano or Todi and how far timewise? What else can we include in that vicinity for the day or will a morning be enough?Just read about Sant'Antimo.Should we perhaps visit on the way .Does this make sense?

Oh ! think I better stop reading the posts...keep finding more and more.

Catie , you are so very fortunate to live there!

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Todi
Todi
London
Level Contributor
456 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Montepulciano : 5 days Itinerary

I know there's a lot to view but focus on few places otherwise you'll be too rushed. Pitigliano and Todi are really lovely but as far as I remember almost two hours from Montepulciano. Try http://www.viamichelin.com for distances.

Mentioned in this post
Todi
Todi
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy