We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limited time in Montepulciano - Wineries & Accommodations

Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Limited time in Montepulciano - Wineries & Accommodations

Hello Fellow Tuscany Lovers-

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Montepulciano area in March of this year. I thank everyone for their great reviews on this site & have a few additional questions for our experts!

We will be staying for 2 nights, and we will have a rental car. We are hoping to take in some typical Tuscan sights during our day trips.

-We originally wanted to stay at a Farmhouse/ agriturismo - leaning toward Sant'Antonia, Montorio and La Locanda del vino nobile. Montorio seems to be my favorite site unseen.

I am concerned now about the lack of restaurants for dinner at most locations & thus having to drive at night.

-If we stay in the city, is it fairly easy to drive (and park) in and out of the city since we will be focusing on taking day trips of the countryside?

-Do you have any suggested itineraries for our full day trip (will be a Tuesday)? I was hoping to reach Montalcino, a few wineries, and any other sites we must see around this area.

Thank you for your responses!! Can't wait to be back in Tuscany in two months!

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Montalcino
Montalcino
Province of Siena, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,708 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Limited time in Montepulciano - Wineries & Accommodations

We are booked to stay at Il Marzocco later this year. We have not stayed there before, but it looks nice on its web site and TA reviews seem positive. It is just inside the walls and has its own parking.

www.albergoilmarzocco.it

Southern Tuscany
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Limited time in Montepulciano - Wineries & Accommodations

In all honesty, parking can be tricky up in the town centre although some hotels and even small apartments do have a space or two allocated for guests' use. One place I can think of that does have easy parking is la locanda San Francesco, food's quite good there too. Negotiating your way around the narrow lanes is something that not everyone enjoys but the town won't be busy in March. Montalcino is an easy drive and there are lots of places to enjoy Brunello. But nearer home you must sample the local wine, Vino Nobile. A beautiful place to do this (and enjoy a very informative tour) is down at Avignonesi. Check out their website, do book in advance for the tour, which again should be easily arranged in March. I think the address is: www.avignonesi.com

Obviously you must visit Pienza but check out some of the smaller hill towns too such as Petroio, Montisi, Castelmuzio. A bit further afield, Monticchiello too is really quaint and very picturesque with an excellent restaurant, maybe for lunch, la Porta.

Mentioned in this post
Montalcino
Montalcino
Province of Siena, Italy
Avignonesi
Avignonesi
566 Reviews
Montepulciano, Italy
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Limited time in Montepulciano - Wineries & Accommodations

Thank you CatieC and SydneyNick! Your suggestions sound great, I will look into all of them!

Ciao.

montepulciano, italy
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Limited time in Montepulciano - Wineries & Accommodations

Ditto to everything Catie writes, just a note that Avignonesi's website is www.avignonesi.it

Buon viaggio!

Pamela

Agriturismo Poggio Etrusco, Montepulciano

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
387 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Limited time in Montepulciano - Wineries & Accommodations

If you stay in the city you will not have any problem in finding restaurants for dinner (there are at least 15 restaurants in town).Everything in Montepulciano is within a walking distance: you'll need a car only if you want to visit the surroundings.

Driving in town is not difficult at all: Montepulciano is very small, and there are only two itineraries to enter in the historical center and two to get out.

Just ask to your hotel how to reach your accomodation: most of the tourists want simply to use GPS, but in no-traffic area they can have some problem.

Hotels in the historical center usually have few reserved parking spots for guests, but usually parking is not a real problem. There are 8 public parkings in town, from where you can reach most of the hotels in not more tha 5 minutes on foot.

For one day trip:

- Pienza, San Quirico D'Orcia, Bagno Vignoni and Montalcino or

- Pienza and Crete Senesi area( villages of Asciano, Lucignano, Petroio, Castelmuzio, Montisi, Trequanda and/or Sant'Anna in Camprena Abbey and/or Monte Oliveto Maggiore Abbey) or

- Chiusi, Lake Trasimeno (Castiglione del Lago and/or Passignano) or

- local wineries: in Montepulciano Avignonesi( big winery), Tenuta Valdipiatta (family-run, private and tailor-made tours), Poliziano. In Montalcino: Poggio Antico (open also on Saturday and Sunday) or Fanti San Filippo.

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Pienza
Pienza
Province of Siena, Italy
San Quirico d'Orcia
San Quirico d'Orcia
854 Reviews
San Quirico d'Orcia, Italy
Bagno Vignoni
Bagno Vignoni
Province of Siena, Italy
Montalcino
Montalcino
Province of Siena, Italy
Crete Senesi
Crete Senesi
338 Reviews
Asciano, Italy
Lake Trasimeno
Lake Trasimeno
1,223 Reviews
Perugia, Italy
Castiglione del Lago
Castiglione del Lago
Province of Perugia, Italy
Avignonesi
Avignonesi
566 Reviews
Montepulciano, Italy
Tenuta Valdipiatta
Tenuta Valdipiatta
167 Reviews
Montepulciano, Italy
montepulciano, italy
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Limited time in Montepulciano - Wineries & Accommodations

You really don't want or need to drive inside Montepulciano. The car will be great for driving to the nearby sights. That is what you were asking about originally; I'm just responding to the last post about driving in town.

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
7. Re: Limited time in Montepulciano - Wineries & Accommodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 02:17