We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montepulciano or Cortona

nn3
Dublin
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Montepulciano or Cortona

Hello there........Myself and my boyfriend are spending 2 weeks in Tuscany this September. After a busy week visiting Florence and Siena, we are hoping to spend 5-7 days chilling out in or close to a small town and from there take a few days trips to other towns and villages near by. We'll have a car.

Would anybody have a view on whether Cortona or Montepulciano would be the better base for us (while visiting both)? We'd like to stay in accommodation which has a garden and/or pool to allow for some rest time but is also within walking distance to restaurants and shops so we can go out in the evenings & enjoy authentic italian hospitality......

I'd appreciate any advice....thank you...

Cetona
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Montepulciano or Cortona

nn3

they are both really nice...

I love Montepulciano, but I love Cortona, too.

From Montepulciano you can reach easly Pienza, Città della Pieve, Chiusi, Trasimeno lake and sourranding areas.From Cortona you can go to Trasimeno lake,Castiglion Fiorentino, Arezzo...

They are both small...in Montepulciano there is the Relais San Bruno that could be nice for a young couple.

another place really nice is San Casciano dei bagni.

In September you can find some nice local open party in Cortona, like in Montepulciano...Probably Montepulciano is a better base, but in Cortona you have a little bit more shops and nice restaurant.

Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montepulciano or Cortona

Hi nn3, we just left Montepulciano after spending a week there and loved it. Yes, it is much quieter than Cortona but I agree that it is a good base for day trips. Even though it is small, it has some leather, clothing, homewear and food shops and we found at least a dozen cafes to choose from. In particular, we loved hanging out at Le Steele, which is more contemporary than most, with great music, wine and views. No matter what you choose, it's all good!

nn3
Dublin
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Montepulciano or Cortona

Thanks so much Mary - it sounds like we will love both so it might just be a case of deciding based on the available accommodation. I looked at your suggestion for the Relais San Bruno and it looks just fabulous - unfortunately more than our budget will allow though, we're trying to cap at 150p/n.....I am very excited, thank you so much for the tips...

nn3
Dublin
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Montepulciano or Cortona

Thanks WendynSimon.......very much looking forward to it now. It's great to know that either will be fabulous..but MonteP a better base..

Thanks for the advice

5. Re: Montepulciano or Cortona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2010, 07:25