We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Siena to Montepulciano

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
204 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Siena to Montepulciano

The earliest i was able to find a direct bus connection from Siena to Montepulciano was 10:50 arriving at 12:25, However, I am not able to find a bus connection back to Siena later than 14:10. Obviously that would not be enough time to justify the time spent traveling.

Is there something I am missing when reading the orario on train-spa?

all help appreciated

traveling with aloha

the coconut wireless

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Siena to Montepulciano

I get the identical information as well.

Note that the southbound bus at 10:50 a.m. is "Estivo" which means when school is OUT during the summer season.

HINT: look up the train schedules between Siena and Montepulciano. There are early morning trains which would allow you more time in Montepulciano. HOWEVER, you still need to get from the Montepulicano station to central Montepulciano by TRA-IN bus (see separate bus schedules).

There are also return trains to Siena MUCH later in the day (into the early evening hours).

www.ferroviedellostato.it

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,801 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Siena to Montepulciano

You can also do this journey earlier and later by taking the train to Sinalunga then bus - several routes connect Sinalunga ST (Stazione) and Montepulciano, particularly www.lfi.it/orari_linee_si_mob/F_ST3.pdf but also others on here www.lfi.it/servizi_linee_lfi_si-mob.asp

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Siena to Montepulciano

thank you so much

I would be traveling May 8th - probably NOT SUMMER YET?

The train schedule works much better HOWEVER you sayI

get from the Montepulicano station to central Montepulciano by TRA-IN bus. Seems as though they donʻt sync very well.

I did find a bus schedule leaving later but after looking closer it says Estivio. UGH!!!

Will try to figure if I can connect through either Pienza by bus or find the bus from Montepulicano to Chiusi train station since I read somewhere (?) that was an easier connection then from Montepulicano bus station to Montepulicano train station.

Wondering if the little hill town of Montepulicano is worth it?

Mahalo,Grazie, thanks

traveling with aloha the coconut wireless

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Siena to Montepulciano

I found this schedule (good Monday through Saturday, combination Ferrovie dello Stato/LFI bus):

Depart Siena train station 8:06

Arrive Montepulciano train station 9:05

Depart Montepulciano train station 9:35

Arrive Montepulciano 9:50

FIVE HOURS IN MONTEPULCIANO (plenty of time to see the entire town)

Depart Montepulciano 15:05

Arrive Montepulciano train station 15:20

Depart Montepulciano train station 15:25

Arrive Siena train station 16:32

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Siena to Montepulciano

Grazie Mille

Mahalo Nui Loa

Thank u so much :-)

I had the train schedule and went on http://www.lfi.it/# and found the local bus leaving at 15:05 It is bus #6215 you were talking about. they donʻt leave much time for error do they ;-) ? It arrives at 15:20 and the train leaves at 15:25!

Now i am so befuddled with all ofthis I will need to remember if I found the schedule for when we arrive to get to the center of time.

traveling with aloha

the coconut wireless

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Siena to Montepulciano

OOPS!!

Sorry L.A.

I see that you did have the Shuttle bus time down for arrival

again

Grazie Mille

Ontario
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus Siena to Montepulciano

Coconut wire:

I went through the same exercise for a trip earlier in the week. The buses may not be as frequent on the week-end as the weekday (I see you are planning on a Saturday visit). If you are looking at the timetable only, that is the direct bus. However, if you look for options using the route planner, and put in 6:00 a.m. as the preferred time it will give you other options before noon departure. At least during the week, you can leave earlier but you have to switch buses in Buonoconvento. Here's the info I've got for a week-day departure from Siena to Montepulciano:

Take the Tra-in (SienaMobilita) 114 Bus from Siena to Buonconvento

Departing from the Siena-Porta Ovile Station/Stop @ 7:14 a.m

Arriving in Buonconvento at 7:53 a.m.

(Note – Same bus continues on to Montalcino – arriving at 8:20 a.m.)

Bus 112 Departs for Montepulciano at 8:00 a.m. from Buonoconvento

Arriving in Montepulciano at 8:54 a.m.

There are also options for train to Montepulciano but this means the additional bus ride from Chiusi to Montepulciano. These are the options and info I put together from the Trenitalia site:

Train 3037 Departs from Siena at 5:57 a.m.

Arriving in Chiusi at 7:15 a.m.

Train 6903 Departs from Siena at 8:06 a.m.

Arriving in Chiusi at 9:20 a.m.

Train (Bus operated by Trenitalia) F1205 Departs from Siena at 9:50 a.m.

Arriving in Chiusi at 11:25 a.m.

As for departure back to Siena - I found the same thing - leaving too early. There are lots of trains back to Siena but you have to get a bus from Montepulicano to Chiusi station (which apparently is about a 50 minute trip). We're okay with that if it means we get a full day in Montepulciano. Here's the info I pulled off the Trenitalia site for trains back to Siena (check specifically for your day)

Trains Departing Chiusi-Chianciano Terme to Siena:

Train 6918 Departs from Chiusi at 17:07 (5:07 p.m.)

Arriving in Siena at 18:36 (6:36 p.m.)

Train 6920 Departs from Chiusi at 18:43 (6:43 p.m.)

Arriving in Siena at 20:10 (8:10 p.m.)

Train 6922 Departs from Chiusi at 7:55 (6:55 p.m.)

Arriving in Siena at 9:20 (8:20 p.m.)

I caution you that this is all my own planning at this point and not from experience so check all the info for the day you are planning. Thought I'd gve you this since we're plannng the same thing within a week of your planned day-trip. Have a Blast

Dave and Kathy

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus Siena to Montepulciano

Aloha

Well just when I thought I had it all straightened out?? I am once again confused.

I decided to take the train schedule that poster GAC above recommended.

when I went to the train schedule site it states departs Siena train station and arrives in Montepulciano not Chiusi. I find that a bit confusing. From the Montepulciano station I planned on taking the shuttle into town.

I put in the exact date we are traveling and this is what I cam up with?

Depart Siena train station 8:06. Arrive Montepulciano train station 9:05

Depart Montepulciano train station 9:35 - Arrive Montepulciano 9:50

Depart Montepulciano 15:05; Arrive Montepulciano train station 15:20

Depart Montepulciano train station 15:25; Arrive Siena train station 16:32

…trenitalia.com/b2c/…

NoKandoo
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus Siena to Montepulciano

Are there no cabs at the train station in Montepulciano?

10. Re: Bus Siena to Montepulciano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 05:15