We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip from Montepulciano

Which Montepulciano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day Trip from Montepulciano

My wife and I will be in Montepulciano next week for 3 nights. We will have a rental car and are trying to plan day trips. We know that one of the days we want to explore Montepulciano, Pienza, and Montalcino.

The other day we are having trouble with. We want to see Siena, Cortona, and possibly San Giamignano, but this may be too much for one day. We would also like to stop at a Chianti vineyard while we are near Siena. Does anyone have any day trip itineraries? Or can someone provide us with some suggestions? We appreciate the advice. Thanks.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
328 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip from Montepulciano

Hi there:

We stayed in Montepulciano and went to Siena, San Gim. and a vineyard in Greve in Chianti in one day.

We went to Cortona on the way back from Assisi in Umbria another day.

Have Fun!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip from Montepulciano

mattc305,

See slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip from Montepulciano

Siena, Cortona and San Gim isn't really feasible in one day as Cortona's in the opposite direction but as another posters confirms San Gim, Siena and a Chianti vineyard is - at a pinch - although it's a long - some would say very long - day. San Gim is still overrun with tourists - a friend in the village was there only last week and it's packed - so go there first as early as you can. Then head down to Poggibonsi and up the lovely road from here to Castellina. I feel one of the easiest vineyards to visit is Rocca delle Macie, which is on the road from Castellina to Monteriggioni. They're open all day and tastings are free. You'll need to book though if you want to tour. You could then drop into Siena on your way back though I must go on record as saying Siena merits more than a rushed couple of hours. Drive home from Siena across the southern Tuscan hills of the Crete on the Via Laurentana via Asciano, S Giovanni d'Asso, Petroio, Montefollonico and into Montepulciano. It's one of the most beautiful drives around but can be very tiring at the end of an already long day. PM me if you want a detailed account for I drive it regularly.

Edited: 04 October 2010, 17:47
NYC
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip from Montepulciano

Thank you all for your quick responses. Based on your advice and other travel posts, we may eliminate San Gim and just do Siena and a vineyard as one of our day-long drives from Montepulciano.

Any additional itinerary advice is much appreciated! Thanks.

Edited: 04 October 2010, 20:39
Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip from Montepulciano

A very nice vineyard to visit is Avignonesi and it's only about 20 mins from Montepulciano going in the direction of Cortona. Other options include several over at Montalcino. Someone highly recommended visiting Altesino recently and that's somewhere we certainly plan to visit soon as their wines are amongst our favourites. Check out more at www.altesino.it.

On the day you go to Montalcino do include a visit to nearby Sant Antimo as it's such a beautiful spot. Bagno Vignoni too (take a left at San Quirico, it's about 7/8 mins from here in the direction of Roma) is a seriously pretty village as is little Monticchiello (visible from Pienza). Both of these villages have excellent places to eat. Al Vecchio Forno in San Quirico is another good choice for lunch. All these villages could be easily included on your Montepulciano, Pienza, Montalcino day.

A great way of seeing Montepulciano is to visit in the early evening when the crowds (though it's not so busy now) are far fewer. The cathedral and all the shops are still open yet the streets are quieter. Later still, after dinner, the medieval lanes are truly magical. This is a great town to wander around in the evening.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip from Montepulciano

Interesting information. Where would the best places be to stay for 3 nights with a car? We were considering Villa Marsili in Cortona or Villa San Paolo Hotel in San Gim until I read this thread.

Douglas, Georgia...
Level Contributor
67 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip from Montepulciano

We have not stayed there yet, but are planning to stay at Agriturismo Il Sasso outside of Montepulciano. Great rates and all reviews look promising.

8. Re: Day Trip from Montepulciano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2011, 06:16