We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please advise closest/easiest airport to London?

Which Montepulciano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
south africa
Level Contributor
61 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Please advise closest/easiest airport to London?

Hi

I'd really appreciate it if someoen could let me know the closest and or easiest airport to get to from Montepulciano back to London.

I do not have a car but have the option of leaving from Siena if that is easier?

Is it Perugia, Florence or Pisa? (taking public transport in to account as well)

THANK YOU!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,704 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please advise closest/easiest airport to London?

Florence from Siena is nearest and easiest - one train or bus, then a bus to the airport. Pisa has cheaper flights, but usually needs three trains. Perugia has no direct flights.

From Montepulciano itself by train, Rome's Fiumicino Airport train station can be a few minutes faster to reach than Pisa Airport station, But Siena-Pisa is faster than Chiusi-Fiumicino.

For trains, see http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html - note that for journeys by Regional trains, fares are NA online more than seven days in advance, so use a date this week to see all fares.

Edited: 30 June 2011, 11:09
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,217 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please advise closest/easiest airport to London?

Most planes to London are from Pisa or Rome, there are far fewer from Florence or Perugia.

south africa
Level Contributor
61 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please advise closest/easiest airport to London?

Thank you so much for your responses but i amreally confused.

1, If i leave in the morning should i go from Montepulciano to siena and then plan the rest of my journey from there or is it possible to go directly somewhere form Montepulciano? I heard there is no train station at Montepulciano and that the tiny station outside is unreliable?

2.The flight from Florence leaves at 07.50 am so i would need to spend the night in florence which isn't ideal.

3. How would i get from Montepulciano to Rome's airport?

4. There are VERy cheap flights from Bologna and i beleive the airport is only about 216km from montepulciano. How would i get there from Montepulciano?

Thank you for bearing with me- i am confused as the distances are small (eg to Pisa but then without a car from Montepulciano i would need to get a bus to the station and then 3 trains!)

Where is the second most direct route besides florence from Montepulciano?

Thank you!!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,217 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please advise closest/easiest airport to London?

I would take a bus from Montepulciano down to the train station at Chiusi Scalo, this is one of the more frequent bus services from Montepulciano and the timetable can be found here:

http://www.lfi.it/orari_linee_si_mob/F_T4.pdf

Chiusi is on the main line between Florence and Rome and timetables can be found at www.trenitalia.com. It sounds as though the flight from Florence is not so convenient, so that leaves you looking at flights from Rome or Pisa. From Chiusi you can connect to Pisa by changing at Florence. The airport at Pisa is probably the easiest to reach as it is a 5 minute train ride, or bus or taxi ride from Pisa Centrale station and some trains from Florence even go directly to the airport.

If you decide to go to Rome, you have two airports ciampino or fiumicino, You can connect to Fiumicino from Rome's main station by train. Ciampino is a bit more difficult to get to and you would either need to catch the terravision coach service to the airport, or take a taxi, you can also take a train to Ciampino station and then taxi to the airport, but it is expensive short trip!

Bologna is indeed another option, you could train from Chiusi up to Florence and then catch a train on to Bologna. The airport is 6km outside the city, there is a 20 minute shuttle bus from the train station, or you could take a taxi.

I don't think travelling from Montepulciano to Siena would help much simply because the bus service between Montepulciano and Siena is less frequent and you would still need to connect to Rome or Florence (and then on to Pisa or Bologna).

Sorry it all sounds pretty complicated, but I'd get yoursefl down to Chiusi and then work out train times and flight times and prices and see what works out best for you.

Suffolk
Level Contributor
954 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please advise closest/easiest airport to London?

Hi Samrey,

Do you have preference which London Airport you are flying into? We are flying with Ryan Air to Pisa as 3 flight time choices a day however this is to London Stanstead which is not London at all but in Essex.

I just thought it was worth point out for you to check your final destination as well as it might effect where you fly from.

Good luck!

south africa
Level Contributor
61 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please advise closest/easiest airport to London?

Thank you both for taking the time and trouble to help me

@peggypatch i think you're right about not bothering to go to Siena, i'll get to Chiusi instead.

Florence seems the easiest but requires a stay the night before. Bologna flights are cheapest out of everywhere and they have early morning and late night flights.and it doesnt seem too difficult to get there.

Hadnt considered Rome.

Pisa sounds difficult to get too with up to 3 trains and the easyjet flight was expensive but may be an option as i dont mind which airport i land in.

The flights range in price from R515 in Bologna (my currency) to R1400 in Pisa.

Will have to sit and work it all out.

final question, can i comfortably make it from Montepulciano to bologna airport by 5pm if i leave late morning? Seems ridiculous to worry as that gives me so much time to do a maximum 3 hour drive?

Thank you!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,217 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please advise closest/easiest airport to London?

Yes, if you catch the 10.50 bus from Montepulciano, arriving at Chiusi at 11.45, there is then a train at 12.08 which goes straight through to Bologna, arriving there at 14.42, so that would give you plenty of time to get to the airport, by the shuttle bus from the station.

If something went wrong, there is a second train leaving from Chiusi at 14.08, again straight through to Bologna, arriving there at 16.42, so if you got a taxi from the station, you would still make it to the airport about 5.

I think if I were you, I'd got for the first train, just to leave a bit of leeway should you be delayed at any point. The second train would be cutting it a bit fine for my liking, but as I say if something went wrong on the first journey would be a plan B that would still get you there.

south africa
Level Contributor
61 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please advise closest/easiest airport to London?

Thank you so much again! Wow that was so helpful :)

If i can't get the flights from Bologna for any reason I ay ask you details to another specific airport.

You've been a great help, thank you :)

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,217 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please advise closest/easiest airport to London?

You are welcome, enjoy your trip.

10. Re: Please advise closest/easiest airport to London?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 13:18