We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuscany driving - roadside picnics

Moscow
Level Contributor
491 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tuscany driving - roadside picnics

We (a family) are flying in for what promises to be an exciting driving tour of Italy, Tuscany included, in a couple of days.

ZTLs being an unfamiliar issue unsettling enough, does a roadside picnic also amount to a trespassing problem?

May we stop at any location among the hills to our liking and perhaps even cross a field to a rock offering a vantage view at our own whim to have a picnic?

Or any there only any specially outfitted places along the route for such stopovers?

PS. There is also another matter. Would it be okay to open a spumante bottle somewhere in a park or public square (in Bologna) on New Year's eve and toast the holiday that way in an unusual setting? Or is it a finable no-go in Italy?

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tuscany driving - roadside picnics

It's taking place under the loggia in front of the municipio on Palazzo Pius II opposite the cathedral. There are a couple of rounds tonight, more tomorrow in the evening but I don't there's anything on Thursday - the final is on Friday. I took some pictures this afternoon of the match between Ristorante Il Falco and Bar Gelateria Albertini. I'll post them on the following site later this evening: http://imagesofitaly.blogspot.com

Wrap up well as it's very cold and the terrace heating gadget thingies are not working. Also, don't expect too much excitement!!!

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tuscany driving - roadside picnics

It's taking place under the loggia in front of the municipio on Palazzo Pius II opposite the cathedral. There are a couple of rounds tonight, more tomorrow in the evening but I don't there's anything on Thursday - the final is on Friday. I took some pictures this afternoon of the match between Ristorante Il Falco and Bar Gelateria Albertini. I'll post them on the following site later this evening: http://italianimages.blogspot.com

Wrap up well as it's very cold and the terrace heating gadget thingies are not working. Also, don't expect too much excitement!!!

To answer your original question, so long as you don't trample on any crops or leave any litter behind, farmers won't mind you having a picnic on their land, we do it all the time. Re spumante in public places on New Year's Eve - everyone else will be doing it, so why not?

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tuscany driving - roadside picnics

Please ignore post 11 at 11.38, I thought I had deleted it. The website address is wrong, it belongs to someone else, not me. Thanks. LS

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Tuscany driving - roadside picnics

I disagree with LS - farmers, like the one in my family will seriously mind and will forcefully take you out of their property in the countryside. Please respect private property regardless whether you are Italian or not LS

15. Re: Tuscany driving - roadside picnics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 December 2011, 08:07
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tuscany driving - roadside picnics

The OP asked about "roadside picnics" and this is what I was referring to in my response. I'm certainly not encouraging anyone to go tramping miles into the middle of fields but stopping by the side of the road on a corner of someone's land that borders it is unlikely to cause any offence, in either sense of the word, so long as you are careful.

17. Re: Tuscany driving - roadside picnics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2013, 10:20