We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Montepulciano to Siena

Which Montepulciano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Getting from Montepulciano to Siena

Hi there!

Some of these answers were helpful, but none specific to my travel plans, so I was wondering if someone could help me...

I will be travelling from the historic centre of Montepulciano to Siena on Sunday, July 8th 2012. I would like to leave relatively early (no later than 12:00/noon) to ensure a good amount of time before sunset in Siena. I am having a difficult time planning this. Can someone please help me figure out what bus(es) to take, the time, and the fee?

Thank you so much!!

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Montepulciano to Siena

I readily stand corrected by someone with a better knowledge of public transport than I but I don't think there are any buses on a Sunday between Montepulciano and Siena, irrespective of the time. Possibly there's a train, assuming you can somehow get down to Montepulciano Stazione (cab / lift?), it's way too far to walk with bags.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Montepulciano to Siena

Oh no! Someone please tell me if this is true or not.... This would be very bad! :(

Also, I posted another forum with all of our destination plans. I need serious help navigating around Italy - what buses/trains to take for each place, how much it costs (approximate), and times available. The websites are very confusing! Any help would be appreciated:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g187768-i20-k542524…

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,492 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Montepulciano to Siena

No, no bus from Montepulciano to Siena on a Sunday. I just looked at your plan and it looks horribly hectic to me, lots of travelling over large distances and an odd spread of time.

For instance you have only one night in Montepulciano and then plan to travel to Siena the next day, so you really only have half a day in the incredible city of Siena which is nowhere near enough time. The next day you want to do a day trip to Volterra (this is extremely difficult from Siena, you need to change buses at Colle di Val d'Elsa and there are only a couple of buses a day, with a very tight connection as I recall see the busfox website for bus timetables).

Then early the next morning you head on to Viareggio, ok that can be done by train with one change and a couple of hours. So you have a couple of days by the beach - fine, but then the largest spread of time, what is it 4 or 5 days in Cinque Terre. This seems excessive, this is a small stretch of coast and some people walk the whole 5 villages in one day. If you are going in summer they will be extremely crowded and I bet after a couple of nights you'll be regretting spending so little time in places like Rome, Montepulciano and Siena and too much there.

Then it is whizzing up to the south of France for a few days, then all the way back to Rome. Can you not get an open jaw flight and fly back home from the south of France? I think you are in danger of needing another holiday to get over this one!

Edited: 17 May 2012, 22:01
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Montepulciano to Siena

I recently spoke to someone who said that Sunday bus/train services might be added during the peak season (July/August) to accommodate more tourists - do you think this will happen?

I only wanted to spend one night in Montepulciano because I was under the impression it is a small town. Also, I want to couch surf as much as I can, but there is no host here, and I don't want to pay for 2 nights in the hotel... I am really hoping to get to Siena on the Sunday if I can! If that works out, I will have most of the day Sunday in Siena, and I can scrap the day trip to Volterra if it is not possible from Siena. In which case, I will spend all day Monday in Siena.

Then yes, spending the next 2 nights (Tuesday/Wednesday) in Viareggio. Thank you for the advice on Cinque Terre! I will cut it down to two days, with one hotel stay in Corniglia.

From southern France we are heading to Milan for a few days. I am staying in Milan and flying out on the 25th to London, but my friend must go back to Rome to catch her flight back to Toronto. Thanks for the advice, but the flights are already booked.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, but most of my itinerary is set. Any help with transportation details, as I requested, would be really, REALLY appreciated. :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,534 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Montepulciano to Siena

You could get a train from Chiusi to Siena if you can get to Chiusi. I don't know if there are buses running from Montepulciano on Sunday to Chiusi - but then it would be a train ride of about 1.25-1.5 hours for 7,10 euros.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,581 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Montepulciano to Siena

I think that, for what you are planning, you really really need a rental car.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Montepulciano to Siena

Nick's right. I understand what you're trying to do but the reality is it's way too much. Also, although it is possible to do a whistle-stop tour of the larger European cities relying exclusively on public transport, once you head into the countryside, you really do need a car. And it's not just here in Italy, France even the UK are the same.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,534 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Montepulciano to Siena

What also becomes deceptive is that distances can look like they will take less time than they actually do in reality.

I agree though, a car will make this much more pleasurable.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,492 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Montepulciano to Siena

Totally agree that a car would make this a whole lot more doable.

However, if that is not an option, then I am afraid there is no bus on Sunday from Montepulciano to Chiusi either. I don't know whether a Sunday bus will be added for tourists in summer, does anyone else? The bus service is generally designed around the commuting needs of locals, not for tourists, so there are often only buses at rush hour. If you are staying at a hotel why not contact them and see if they can arrange a taxi or private driver to take you to the train station. You will be able to get to Siena by train on a Sunday.

Montepulciano is a reasonably sized town, the reason I was surprised that you were only staying one night is that it is quite an effort (time wise) to get there and it is set in drop dead gorgeous countryside with lovely walks in and around. A few hours won't seem like enough. However, if your itinerary is an immovable feast then so be it.

Dropping Volterra is a good idea. It is a nice place to visit, but by public transport it is a real pain and not worth missing out on Siena for. 2 nights in Cinque Terre would be my advice, one night stops are rarely satisfactory. As Momcat says it is easy to underestimate travel times, then time packing, unpacking, checking in and out etc.

As for transportation details, you can find train timetables on the trenitalia website. If you find fares are coming up as N/A then just put a date in for a weeks time and you will get the prices. The new train timetables will come out in June, but in practise they will change very little.

For buses the busfox website is very good for the Tuscany region:

http://www.busfox.com/timetable/

You can also try googling the words orario and the name of your departure and destination places, this will usually find an actual timetable. Good luck!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Montepulciano to Siena

It's very unlikely that Sunday buses will be added to accommodate tourists. Bus services in the Italian countryside are planned to serve the needs of the local population and not of tourists, most of whom will rent cars.