We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine tasting

Which Montepulciano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Corona del Mar, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Wine tasting

We will soon be spending two days in Montepulciano with a car and would like to experience/learn about the regional wines of Montepulcianco and Montalcino. Can you recommend wineries in the area with tasting rooms? Also do we have to book them in advance?

Thank you in advance,

Cinzia

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine tasting

Two very useful links for starters are

www.stradavinonobile.it for Montepulciano and

www.consorziobrunellodimontalcino.it for Montalcino.

The first link in particular is helpful if you want to take an organised tour rather than drive yourselves. It's also very informative. If you're only here for a couple of days, do ring in advance (someone will speak some English) to check whether a particular estate is open for tours are generally at specified times and at some smaller estates not always on weekends. If you go to the vineyard, you'll get a feel for the location, the land, the cellars and the tour will include an explanation of the process. You pay for the tour and sometimes food is included (at an additional fee). At some vineyards you can just turn up and taste either for a small fee or for free if they sense you're going to buy (or you do buy) but with limited time I wouldn't risk just dropping in.

The alternative is to taste at the growing number of wine stores (enoteche) that are springing up in both towns. There are so many in Montepulciano now but our favourite still remains the cellars in the magnificent palazzo of Contucci. Over at Montalcino, the Wine Room on Via Matteotti that's owned by the same people who own the Enoteca della Piazza is well worth a visit as you can taste (for varying fees) a massive range of wines. And that's the advantage of enoteca over vineyard, you get to compare the wines from different producers. Enjoy.

Montepulciano
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine tasting

In Montepulciano you can also consider the Enoteca del Consorzio, in Piazza Grande ( is the tasting point of the producers which are part of the Consortium of Vino Nobile).

Corona del Mar, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine tasting

Thank you both for your recommendations. We are very appreciative for your advice. Can you tell me how long it takes to drive from Montepulciano to Montelcino?

Cinzia

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine tasting

About 40 mins or so.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
70 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine tasting

We had a wonderful time at Avignonesi. It's not far from Montepulciano, and they offer several types of tastings. We chose one that included a tour and lunch, and sitting on their patio drinking their wonderful wines was heaven. You can contact them through their website.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine tasting

We like Avignonesi as well, very much indeed, but I feel I give them so many mentions on this board that people may (wrongly) suspect ulterior motives. The cellar tour (that includes an explanation of the terroir) is very interesting and the wines more varied than you find from some other local producers as they make more than just the sangiovese based Vino Nobile or Rosso di Montepulciano. They produce the most delicious merlot under the label Desidero and two excellent sauvignon blanc whites too. Isn't that terrace heaven? The food is terrific too.

sydney
Level Contributor
387 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine tasting

Reading all these posts about the superb wine...think i need to go back ASAP. Absolutely great part of the world...

Corona del Mar, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine tasting

Thank you again!!

Hamilton, Bermuda
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine tasting

Thank you Lastraniera for your advice. I'm scouring the forums for a recommendation for a winery in Tuscany as I have no clue where to start and saw this about Avignonesi. It looks a wonderful place! Just have to find out how far this is from Rome as we will be staying in Rome. We are not big wine drinkers but looking for a fun experience at a vineyard and soak up the atmosphere. This might fit the bill. :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,524 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine tasting

Contucci wines has a tasting room right in Montepulciano. Go and see Adamo there...he is a blast!