We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't Miss Restaurants

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Can't Miss Restaurants

Will be staying in Montepulciano this April. Looking for your DON'T MISS restaurants in town and around the area.

Grazie mille.

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't Miss Restaurants

La Grotta (via di San Biagio 15) in Montepulciano has been one of our favorite spots for eons. We haved swooned over a pecorino'd, truffled pork dish there on many an occasion.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't Miss Restaurants

Sounds awesome. Kind of trying to decide which towns to hit besides Siena and Montalcino.

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't Miss Restaurants

We'd suggest Pienza, Sant'Antimo, and Chiusi if you're a lover/fan of things Etruscan. It's such a really, lovely, remarkable part of Tuscany (though what part isn't, we wonder, idly?) ... and what a great time of year you picked to be there?

We'd also suggest you organize some wine tastings, since you'll be in an area that makes some of Italy's greatest wines.

We are envious.

Edited: 05 February 2013, 18:22
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,772 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't Miss Restaurants

starchild,

this may help slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't Miss Restaurants

Awesome. Thank you.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,436 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't Miss Restaurants

Our lastraniera knows all about great restaurants in the area!!

Here are my .2 cents on the subject:

Yes, definitely dine at La Grotta at the base of the slope in Montepulciano. And get some Vin Santo e cantucci for dessert. It is one of those simple pleasures in life that lingers with you.

La Porta in Monticchiello is a very nice lunch stop.

If you visit Sant'Antimo and stay for the 12:15 (maybe 12:30, look it up!) prayer/chanting, you could continue for lunch with Brunello at Poggio Antico (google for info), a lovely winery. You may want to reserve in advance to not be disappointed. I understand they also serve dinner.

As far as other villages, do visit San Quirico. It is a lovely village with several nice shops. We had an inexpensive and pleasant lunch at Trattoria al Vecchio Forno, but it has been a few years since and I am not sure whether it is still good or whether it still exists.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,482 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can't Miss Restaurants

I would rate Al Vecchio Forno in San Quirico higher than anywhere in Montepulciano. Another consistently good place is la Buca delle Fate in Pienza. Both have a very strong local following. That said, best lunch we've had in ages was at Gatta Vecchi in Montepulciano last month, and we can't wait for them to re-open after their winter break. An exceptional board of cold cuts including a still warm fegato served in glasses, I followed this with thick tagliatelle made with Vino Nobile. I know, sounds a terrible waste of great wine but, my, was it good, as was the accompanying cinghiale ragu. In April, ensure you book.

Edited: 06 February 2013, 05:56
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,897 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can't Miss Restaurants

Cinghiale ragu! Now THAT'S what I needed for dinner tonight!

Florence Italy
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can't Miss Restaurants

Thank you, La Straniera. Your note has been duly noted, and we can't wait to try these places.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
13,395 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can't Miss Restaurants

We enjoyed La Costa in Montefollonico and La Locanda del Castello in San Giovanni d'Asso.

http://www.lacosta.it/ristorante.it.php

http://www.lalocandadelcastello.com/

Get answers to your questions about Montepulciano
Recent Conversations