We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Val D'Orcia en route FCO to Acquaviva

Which Montepulciano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Val D'Orcia en route FCO to Acquaviva

Hi,

I'm hoping to fit in the Val D'Orcia after picking the car from FCO airport on the way to Acquaviva where we 'll be staying for 3 days. Schedule is tight so please help me in planning to get the best out of my journey. Month of travel is late August.

I have looked into several websites detailing scenic drives along cypress lined roads and I've come up with the following route:

Pick up car from FCO @ 10-30 : catch A 1 all the way to Chiusi exit ---> take SS 146 and SP 19/SP 40 to see La Foce and its tree lined approach.

Is it worth a detour via Cianciano Terme ? Not really interested in spa.

After seeing the gardens at La Foce carry on along SP40/53 to San Quiricio. Have a break to have a bite here.

Can't decide next whether to carry on further to Montalcino or not. The views of Montalcino look lovely.

Then double back on SP 53 up to SP 88 junction and carry on towards Monticchiello.

I believe there is a famous Cypress lined road on the approach to Monticchiello.

Then carry on through Montepulciano ( time to have dinner ) and reach Acquaviva in time to crash out.

I am a amateur photo enthusiast and I believe the landscape and the Cypress trees look much better in late afternoon. I hope my route would give me opportunities to have good shots of Monte Amiata as well.

We are staying in Tuscany for 3 days.

Following day we plan to explore Pienza, Siena and San Gim.

One day to Pisa ( was not really keen as we have been there before but the kids are insisting on seeing the tower etc) and one day just to chill out and perhaps a winery tour.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Edited: 25 March 2013, 12:06
Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,828 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Val D'Orcia en route FCO to Acquaviva

I don’t know road numbers but can help on the basis of place names. From FCO, take A1 to Chiusi exit / follow signs to Chianciano / Montepulciano taking a left before the town (signposted Cassia) and then first right (ditto) literally yards later. Chianciano old town is very much worth a visit but you possibly won’t have time. If you want to see the gardens at La Foce you’ll have to be there on a Wednesday (every hour from 15.00 hrs) or maybe the first Saturday of the month, if they implement that again this year. You’ll see Cecil Pinsent’s cypress lined wiggly road on the right as you come down the hill from La Foce, there are also good views of Monte Amiata from the car park opposite the Dopo Lavoro osteria. Definitely stop at San Quirico, all the restaurants are good. You could detour to Monticchiello between La Foce and San Quirico taking a right to Pienza and then right again up to Monticchiello. In fact, I would recommend this. You then drive Pienza – San Quirico passing two more iconic views – the farmhouse with cypressi outside it (on the right 2 mins outside Pienza) and La Vitaletta, farmhouse with chapel on distant hill (on the right 7 / 8 mins outside Pienza). Montalcino is only another 25 mins further on from San Quirico plus you’ll pass yet another iconic scene, this time the cypress trees in a circle on the left about 5 km out of San Quirico but on other side of the road. By now you will have seen them all. If it were me, I would do the villages in this order and then head straight back from Montalcino retracing your steps SQ / Pienza / Montepulciano / Acquaviva. That last bit is a nice run through vineyards, a very pretty ride. I don’t know where you are arriving from but you will be pretty exhausted after all this. For very best views of Amiata you need to go further down the Orcia valley to somewhere like Radicofani, which is again recommended.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Val D'Orcia en route FCO to Acquaviva

Hi lastraniera,

A million thanks for your excellent suggestion.

I'm actually staying in Sorrento & Rome for couple of weeks before picking up the car from FCO airport so should not be too tired or jet lagged (although would probably have blisters all over the feet ) !!

I agree that I probably won't have time for Chianciano Terme.

Looks like we can't see the gardens of La Foce unless they change the timings this year.

Thanks for pointing to Dopo Lavoro restaurant. The reviews are a bit mixed but I'd probably just stop to have some drinks and take photos.

Slightly confused about the next section but probably because I'm not familiar with area.

" You could detour to Monticchiello between La Foce and San Quirico taking a right to Pienza and then right again up to Monticchiello." : So you are suggesting that I take the right towards Pienza after La Foce and then again take the right all the way to Monticchiello ?

Then do I retrace my steps and go back all the way north to Pienza? The Farmhouse and the Chapel seem to be pretty close to the outskirts of Pienza. There seems to be 2 routes from Pienza to San Quirico. One going slightly North and then west and the other one as mentioned before going south, crossing the road to Montichheillo and then turning right to wards SQ.

So which route from Pienza to SQ have these views ?

And I'll be visiting Montalcino as the Cypress circle sounds very intriguing.

I have tried to build a map in Google map and trying to paste the link from Google plus. Not sure whether the link would work or not.

http://goo.gl/maps/F7wU2

Sorry to be a pain and once again many thanks for your patience.

Cheers

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,828 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Val D'Orcia en route FCO to Acquaviva

First off, I've never eaten at the new osteria at the Dopo Lavoro at La Foce (which was renovated winter 2011/12) so can't comment on the food but you don't have the view from the terrace so if reviews are mixed, consider somewhere else. There are so many seriously good options for places to eat in this area, you don't need to be bothered by iffy ones.

Now, it's really very simple for you just continue to follow signs to Pienza and you can't go wrong. You go down the hill from la Foce, along the windy bit through the trees with the view to the right of Cecil Pinsent's remarkable road, then it's straight (good view of Amiata ahead) before you come to a cross roads where you go right (Pienza / San Quirico). Continue along a road that will appear clearly on a map as running parallel with the Orcia river right through the valley. You come to another crossroads, San Quirico / Siena is signposted straight ahead, Pienza right so go right (there's a ruined farm on the corner ahead of you). A few kilometres further on is a road on the right (it's a small one) with a small sign to Monticchiello. Go up here into the village veering to the right (I think it's signposted Montepulciano) if you want to see the zig-zag road. Monticchiello is an extremely pretty village with some excellent restaurants so do stop here if it's lunchtime. Otherwise, retrace your steps back to the main Pienza road, turning right and continuing up into Pienza - you'll see it ahead of you miles before you reach it, it's a fabulous sight. You wind your way up the hill through olive groves with the village above you, keep on this road until you eventually start to hug the town walls on your left, the road is climbing, and then you veer left, you'll see the Piccolo Hotel on your right, keep going through the village (you'll have the town walls on your left now) until you come to a tee junction where you turn left to San Quirico. This is the main Montepulciano / SQ road that comes up from Chianciano / Chiusi, ie the road you will have taken initially out of Chiusi. There are several routes from Pienza to San Quirico but only one is an asphalted surface, you can't miss it as it's the main arterial road out of Pienza.

No one asking for directions in this marvellous part of Europe could ever be a pain(!), I'm only too pleased to help. PM me if you need more.

4. Re: Val D'Orcia en route FCO to Acquaviva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 April 2013, 05:48
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Val D'Orcia en route FCO to Acquaviva

You are a STAR. No more queries for the time being. Let me do some more research and I'm sure I'll need your expertise once again.

Cheers.

6. Re: Val D'Orcia en route FCO to Acquaviva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2014, 05:17