We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

winter in montepulcinao

Which Montepulciano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
mullica hill, nj
Level Contributor
162 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
winter in montepulcinao

Planning to be in town for new years eve for 6 days, we are staying at a farm house outside of Montepulciano. Just how cold should I expect it to be??? Bone Chilling? I spent a week there in august, will everything be open as it was then. Do most of the businesses, restaurants, shops, wineries and tours still remain open in the winter?? We are spending Christmas in Rome, then Siena, Umbria and finally Montepulciano. I want to be able to visit the different wineries, and cheese farms in the area. Any info on winter In Tuscany would be appreciated. I know it is not the best time, but only time our schedule permits.

1. Re: winter in montepulcinao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 23:59
Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: winter in montepulcinao

It's pretty much business as usual at most places as New Year until 6th Jan is a popular holiday period for local people. For vineyard tours, you'll need to book as not everywhere will be running them. There aren't quite as any shops / smaller cafes/bars open in winter in Montepulciano or Pienza as in summer but there's still quite a bit going on. Re the weather, as Tuscan rightly says it will be very, very cold but it's been a couple of years now since we've seen snow over the Christmas / New Year period, usually it comes a bit later in late Jan. I've known New Year's Days when it's been warm enough to have lunch outside if it's sunny and you're sheltered from the wind. The temperature will drop to below freezing overnight though. You must carry chains (and figure how to put them on before you need to do so) and be careful when driving when there's been a very heavy frost overnight. Personally, I love winter here and all the dozens of friends we've had to stay with us over the years during this period confirm the same. Tuscan isn't exaggerating about those heating bills, you cannot believe how much we pay here for gas and electricity. (I cannot believe how much I pay!) Use your utilities carefully.

3. Re: winter in montepulcinao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 05:16