We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siesta Times in Montepulciano?

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
192 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Siesta Times in Montepulciano?

I am planning a day trip from Siena to Sant Antimo Abbey, Pienza & Montepulciano for the end of May '13. Most likely in that order, and most likely on a Monday.

I think we will land in Montepulciano around 1pm. Will most of the shops be closed for siesta? If so, what are the typical hours they are closed?

I thought we'd explore the town/shops from about 1-2p, have lunch, then do some wine tasting at Contucci Palace when it re-opens for the day after 2:30p. Then maybe wander around a bit more near the main square before heading back to Siena via the scenic route. (Yes, we will have a designated driver.)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,905 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siesta Times in Montepulciano?

It's well over two hours of driving to get from Siena to Sant' Antimo to Pienza and then to Montepulciano. So, unless you plan on leaving Siena really early, it will be a challlenge to see the Abbaye and Pienza and get to Montepulciano for 1:00.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
192 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siesta Times in Montepulciano?

Yes, the plan would be to get an early start. If we aren't feeling up for it on that morning, we may decide to skip Sant Antimo Abbey, but still probably get to Montepulciano around 1pm, or so.

Siesta times in Montepulciano?

Thanks.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,472 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siesta Times in Montepulciano?

Shops will be shut down by 12:00-12:30 with the metal shutters likely down. There are really no pre-determined siesta times, which can last until 2:00, 2:30, or even 3:00 (Lastraniera will correct me, if I am off the wall here), and particularly on a Monday when stores may be closed the first half of the day altogether. You can certainly have lunch at 1:00 and wait for shops to open, so just a different order of things.

Do check chanting times at San Antimo. There is one at 12:00 or 12:30 and then another at about 3:00, but do check the website. Do not skip it!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,905 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Siesta Times in Montepulciano?

Hi Anna...... It's usually 12:30 to 1:00 to about 3:00.

Completely agree with Anna. Do not pass on Sant' Antimo. A visit there to listen to the monks chant is a transcendant experience....

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
192 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siesta Times in Montepulciano?

Thanks for the replies. I would really like to see Sant' Antimo, but I don't want to 'push' the group too hard (4 of us; ages 46-62). We'll also be visiting San Miniato in Florence (several days earlier) during the evening chant--how do the two compare?

Regarding 'timing' for the siesta break in Montepulciano ...

If we got to town some time between 12pm-2pm, maybe it would be a better plan to first explore the upper part of town (Duomo, fortress, tower, main square) during siesta, then have lunch (Ai Quattro Venti or La Pentolaccia?), then visit Contucci Palace for wine tasting (it re-opens at 2:30), then hit the shops and other sites on the way down to the lower end of town. Thoughts?

Thanks, again.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,318 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Siesta Times in Montepulciano?

Montepulciano is a very steep town and you can't drive inside it. The duomo and town hall and the wine tasting place I am thinking of are right at the top so I am not sure where you would park or how you will make your way to the top other than by walking. There is a small tourist bus, but I don't know if it runs through the mid-day period.

I simply do not know if there is parking up near the top. There is down the bottom of the village.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Siesta Times in Montepulciano?

There is parking at the top but the hotels are nabbing a growing number of the reserved spots so those available to the public is shrinking. I myself couldn't get one last week. The little minibus does run all day but it's not that regular - half hourly intervals?

To answer the OP's latest question, Sant'Antimo is a hugely different experience to San Miniato. If pushed, I would find it absolutely impossible to choose one over the other for at both the chanting is quite subline, the churches are equally as lovely, they even compete for sensational settings, if, again, very different. Do try and fit in both if you can. The drive alone is worth the visit to Sant'Antimo but then it would be a shame to not stop for even 30 mins in Montalcino.

Re your plan for Montepulciano, a growing number of shops aimed at tourists are open all day but somewhere I think closes around lunchtime is the town hall, just in case you were thinking of climbing up to the first level balcony (from which there are good views).

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
192 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Siesta Times in Montepulciano?

Hmmmm...looks like we'll have some tough decisions to make!

Thanks for the parking tips. I was actually thinking of dropping everyone off at the top of town, parking at the lower end, then meeting everyone near the main square--I can move a bit faster than the others in our group & it'll be good exercise!

9. Re: Siesta Times in Montepulciano?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Montepulciano