We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

very ugly statues

Which Montepulciano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barcelona, Spain
1 post
Save Topic
very ugly statues

we have just visited montepulciano and there were very ugly Chinese looking statues taking over the city's main square. We wanted some pretty pictures of the great piazza in its Italian splendor, which was impossible with such horrible statues...does anyone know when those statues will be removed, maybe next week when I fly out of Florence I can come back for a real flavor of the main square - assuming those distasteful statues will be gone by then

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
97 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: very ugly statues

It's only in the piazza...think global...they will be gone soon...we saw them, interesting to say the least ...culture is not confined

Doha, Qatar
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: very ugly statues

That is a mistake to think global...if I think global I go to Doha, London or even Milan. I will not tour Montepulciano or Castelina in Chianti to see horrendous and disproportionous figures in a mediaval square

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,146 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: very ugly statues

We'll I'm in Venice right now and there is an inflatable naked woman the size of a four storey building over on San Giorgio - she is art too - looks a bit odd but plenty of people were taking a look & didn't seem fazed that she was right beside the church.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: very ugly statues

Nothing on earth is as subjective as art.

Hey Kathy - how's the trip so far? Good weather, I hope? Your son having a blast yet?

Cortland, New York
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: very ugly statues

we have also just visited the not so wonderful montelciano, and in my limited italian I understood the locals also hated the statues...so I fail to understand why they get their own renaissance town ugly by allowing such eyesore dominate their main square...

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,146 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: very ugly statues

Indeed Momcat - one persons masterpiece is another's kindergarten crayon drawing.

Trip so far is incredible - especially seeing it through Sam's eyes. In fact I covered his eyes and led him to the Pantheon yesterday - and when he opened his eyes & saw it right in front of him he was just breathless with astonishment - 'mum it looks nothing like your pictures- it's so much bigger than I thought' - he loved it - like we all do - who can fail to be spellbound by that place?

And that was just a snippet of day 1 - Rome is glorious !! Thanks for asking Momcat.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: very ugly statues

Sounds wonderful - wow - already left Rome; time does fly. The Pantheon is always a first day visit for me - I will never tire of it and it never ceases to astonish me. One day, one day, I will see snow come in through the oculus if I have to move to Rome to do it....(ultimate plan anyway).

If you go to the Peggy Guggenheim, do take a peek at the spot where her beloved dogs are buried - right next to where her ashes were buried.

I love this museum - and, really liked being able to go out onto the veranda on the Grand Canal and watch Venice from there.

http://www.guggenheim.org/venice/history

Turin
Level Contributor
4,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: very ugly statues

Many would argue that keeping places like Montepulciano "as they have always been" will slowly change them into theme parks for tourists where the only locals are waiters, hoteliers, restaurateurs and souvenirs sellers.

Many could say that this Italian way of thinking is the main reason behind our cultural and economic decline. Our ancestors destroyed tons of medieval architectural masterpieces without looking back, just to build their new, "modern" Renaissance versions. Can't we even accept a temporary exhibition?

Who knows? Maybe there is a young sculptor that lives in Montepulciano that will imagine something new and revolutionary by hating or loving Xu Hong Fei's works.

Edited: 09 October 2013, 18:41
Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,146 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: very ugly statues

Momcat - we're back in Rome in 3 weeks - yesterday was just a stop after the 30 hour journey from home so SO much more to see as we stay for 6 nights in Rome at the end of the month. Thanks for the Venice tips !

Stamford...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: very ugly statues

I did not like the statues either. Regradless of my personal tatste in art, they just do not fit in Montepulciano specially in its most beautiful setting.