We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

We are considering staying at the Villa Poggiano, which is outside the main part of town. On google maps it says it would be a 40 minute walk from the Museo Civico. We are an active couple and a 40 minute walk seems fine to us. Do you think this is safe to do after dinner in town to walk back to the Villa in the evening so we don't have to drive? Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

Just be aware that Montepulciano is at the top of a large and steep hill. It will be a considerable uphill slog to get from the villa to the town.

I would not recommend walking along country roads after dark. There are no sidewalks and no lighting.

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

It could possibly be safe but would not be particularly pleasant. No lights, no sidewalk, not even much shoulder. If you are talking about walking on SS146 at night I do not recommend it. Contact the villa mgmt for their input on walking an alternate route or suggested alternatives to driving your own car. Restaurants are sometimes known to provide a ride to and from.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,658 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

I would not recommend doing this at night for the reasons stated above, no lighting and no sidewalk means it would not be safe, IMO.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,202 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

If this is the place on Via di Poggiano, your google map should indicate that nearly a mile of the walk is along SS146 and that there is no way to avoid this. Use the street view to look at this road and you'll understand what everyone is telling you - narrow road, no shoulder at all, no lights. Furthermore, this is the main east-west road between central Tuscany and the autostrada so it has a lot of traffic.

Chicago
Level Contributor
396 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

We stayed at a B&B about 5 miles outside of Montepulciano. We drove to and from the town during the day and at night. It is very dark along the roads at night. We would never have expected to see someone on foot along the road at night. IMHO it would be dangerous. Vehicles do not expect pedestrians in that area - it would be risky.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,889 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

Hold on, when are you coming and how late do you think you would be walking back? It's light until around 10 in mid-summer and you really only have, what, less than 2 km on the main road, if that? It depends entirely upon where you go to eat but assuming you're at the junction by the turn off to San Biagio (ie at the foot of Montepulciano - and before that there's street lighting and sidewalk), the first stretch is semi-suburban as you head out of town passed the gas station. There are a couple of agriturismi and the street lights continue for a while but then I think there is a footpath (narrow sidewalk) on the left (ie heading towards Pienza) as you go down the long straight stretch by the agriturismo Girasole. After that it's just up the hill and round the corner (admittedly a very nasty bit but only a few hundred yards, you'd want to keep over to the right where there is a small path under the trees) until your dirt track up to the Dionora and Poggiano. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it in winter or in the dark as I wouldn't expect to see pedestrians on the road once out of Montepulciano proper at night (and I drive it sometimes several times a week late at night) but in summer, if you're sensible, you could possibly do it. It's not that busy at all. Once on the dirt track you'll be fine, just do what we all do ie wear sensible shoes and carry a flashlight.

Edited: 22 January 2014, 15:19
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,889 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

Sudden thought though, in addition to risk of being run over, do also please consider the incline for with the exception of a short stretch (500m or so) as you go passed the Girasole, the walk home is all uphill, and it's quite a climb.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

Thank you for the insight. We will be there around May 20th. We are now looking at Relais San Bruno as it seems to be a bit closer to town and no main highways. I know it will be up and down hill, but the walk would be right past the Basilica. We want something will a Villa feel - countryside, pool and views but we don't want to have to drive after dinner in town back to the villa. Any other accommodation recommendations?

La Locanda is also appealing but it is right in town and we want more of the countryside feel. Thank you for your expertise!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,525 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

if you are going to be out of town and want to eat in town, you will need to bite the bullet and have one person refrain from drinking so you can drive. it really is dangerous walking these roads in daylight -- they are not set up for pedestrians and unthinkable at night. we rented a place in town partly for that reason. of course if you want a pool and such that won't happen in town.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,889 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

Relais San Bruno is a fabulous choice with an easy walk in the dark into town, though I'd still recommend good shoes and carrying a flashlight. La Grotta fairly close by, otherwise a very short, sharp climb up an asphalt track to the main town and all the restaurants in and around Piazza Grande. All downhill coming home.