We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegan friendly restaurants near Montepulciano?

Acre, Israel
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Vegan friendly restaurants near Montepulciano?

Hi,

does anyone know a restaurant in or near Montepulciano serves dishes without eggs/meat/dairy?

Even salad or pasta...

I am vegan and my wife vegeterian

and I want to make sure we are not going to starve while on vacation :)

Level Contributor
203 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegan friendly restaurants near Montepulciano?

A lot of the Italian cooking is based upon pulses, vegetables etc. It is based upon the old agricultural cuisine where meat etc were rare. So most local trattorias should serve some local dishes without meat etc.. Dairy might make it more difficult. But again a lot of cooking is based upon olive oil. It is also easy to discuss dishes with the cook. So pastas with mushrooms, tomatoes (zugo rosso), trufle sauce (tartuffo) etc.. are available. Starters without meat etc.. also are traditional: bruschetta with tomatoes, garlic, mushrooms or frittata of vegetables, Vegetables in batter deep fried. A lot or places will do risottos. The stock might contain beef or chicken, you might have to check. Contorni are side dishes, again lot of options with vegetables. I suggest you invest in a really good Italian cook book where the Italian names are used, or simply check on websites. You should find a lot of wonderful dishes that are readily available in local restaurants that will ensure that you will not starve. Lentichi dishes can provide meat/dairy free options. But please feel free to discuss your preferences with the waiter or chef. A lot of local places do not even give the people a menu. It is standard to discuss options with the waiter and they prepare food as discussed there and then. For this you might need to be a bit out of the touristy areas,

2. Re: Vegan friendly restaurants near Montepulciano?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 05:17