We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Ortisei to Verona Villafranca airport

Which Ortisei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
729 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Ortisei to Verona Villafranca airport

We are arriving and departing from Verona airport and staying for 8 nights in Ortisei this coming June (we can't wait!). When we arrive, we'll drive directly to Ortisei. On our return back to Verona's airport, we are thinking of stopping in Trento to visit the Castello del Buonconsiglio and it seems that the historic center would be fun to walk around - Trento is roughly a 1 hour 10 minute drive from Ortisei. I see on the map that the motorway to Verona runs parallel to the small road on the eastern shore of Lake Garda. We have 2 nights (maybe 3) with a flight departure at 7:45 AM, so the last night will need to be very close to the airport. What do you think of these possibilities - we prefer to limit our driving time for a day to 2 hours.

My questions are:

1. Stay 1 night in Trento? Or somewhere on Lake Garda?

2. Drive from Trento to Villafranca airport - on the motorway, it's 1 hour 10 minutes. Are there any scenic stops we could make along the way to fully enjoy it?

3. I thought of driving the east coast of Lake Garda, According to Via Michelin, the driving times from Trento to Riva del Garda and south through Bardolino to Villafranca is roughly 3+ hours without any stops. From my reading, the towns of Malcesine, Torri del Benaco, Punta di San Bigilio, Garda look like they would enjoyable to visit. I love gardens, and I'd be interested in going to iL Vittoriale in Gardone Riviera but that's on the western shore (another trip, I guess). I haven't found any gardens on the east coast, but perhaps I've missed them.

4. Are there any gardens or other experience that we might include between Trento and the Villafranca airport? We could overnight in Trento and then drive straight on the motorway towards the airport and stop off someplace else. Any ideas? I looked into Verona but it's size is seeming a bit overwhelming and I'm concerned that it will be crowded.

If I should have posted this on another forum, please let me know - I wasn't sure where to post these questions.

I'd appreciate any and all comments!

Thanks!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,024 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving from Ortisei to Verona Villafranca airport

Hi Journeyer,

We meet again! Hope you had a good Christmas & New Year.

My top tip for Sirmione is not to visit on a Sunday. We visited on a Sunday at the end of June 2008 & it was extremely busy with lots of congestion, recommend you avoid this day if possible.

May be interested in my Garda trip report, little old but you may find it useful:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187871-i409-k20…

I am spending a week in Merano & surrounding area at the end of June, may see you there!

Have a great trip & stay in touch.

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
729 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving from Ortisei to Verona Villafranca airport

My husband & I are processing your comments and mulling this all over....

Thanks again!

Hope you both have a good day,

Margie

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,086 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving from Ortisei to Verona Villafranca airport

"I love gardens, and I'd be interested in going to iL Vittoriale in Gardone Riviera but that's on the western shore (another trip, I guess)."

Hi, there is a way you could do this. You may not be aware that there is a frequent car ferry from Torri del Benaco which crosses the lake to Maderno - the crossing takes 30 minutes. From Maderno it's just a short drive to Il Vittoriale in Gardone Riviera.

Torri del Benaco is very picturesque and is one of the least touristy towns on the lake (very few passenger boats call in during the course of a day). However, Monday is a day to avoid as it is market day and the town becomes quite busy.

http://www.torridelbenaco.co.uk/

If you opt not to go to Il Vittoriale then Borghetto and Sigurta Gardens would be a great combination.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,523 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving from Ortisei to Verona Villafranca airport

Hi Welshtraveller111,

Since you typically enjoy day excursions during your holidays, perhaps consider a visit to the beautiful Val Venosta (where Ötzi was discovered, now housed in the South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology) and the enchanting mediaeval walled town of Glorenza (Glurns), and then onward to Müstair (Switzerland) and the UNESCO Benedictine Convent of St John.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/26

And also consider the Südtirol Bahn transport combined with bike rentals - http://www.vinschgerbahn.it/en/default.asp

Lovely region – Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Edited: 07 January 2013, 01:43
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,024 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving from Ortisei to Verona Villafranca airport

Thanks Vagabonda!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,523 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Driving from Ortisei to Verona Villafranca airport

Prego Welshtraveller111 - Buon viaggio! :-)

Vagabonda

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
729 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Driving from Ortisei to Verona Villafranca airport

Hi Vagabonda and Scozzese,

Harvey & I have been mulling over the possibilities for Lake Garda. What I would appreciate your help with is imagining what we have so far for our Italy experience and any suggestions you have for another 8 nights. See what happens when we have time to daydream and plan? We would like to continue our experiment of spending some time in a location - perhaps working our way into eventually being able to say sometime in the future, okay, let's settle into a location for a month or so.

Vagabonda, as you know our Italy trip starts on May 31 with 11 nights in Sicily, followed by 8 nights in Ortisei from June 11 - 19. Like a really healthy special dinner, we would like to choose another place to settle in for another 7- 8 nights. The focus would be leisurely exploring a naturally beautiful area with small non-touristy towns, maybe some days just hanging out. I would like the area to have a different landscape and feel from Sicily and the Dolomites.

One idea that is very appealing and that might pair nicely with Ortisei is a stay in the Val d'Orcia area in southern Tuscany. We could rent an apartment or stay in a B&B in the countryside and have beautiful walks and visit small villages like Pienza. Quiet leisurely exploration. Nature photography.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187893-d5…

http://www.lafoce.com/?action=index

I was thinking on the drive to wherever we choose to settle in, we might enjoy a few days on Lake Garda - at Torri del Benaco and take the ferry over to il Vittoriale, since I do love gardens - usually of a more natural type, but it would be fun to see this type garden. Alternatively, if we do go to Val d'Ocrcia, we will be 2 hours outside of Rome so we will likely depart for home from Rome - on the way south, there is probably a beautiful garden that we could visit. In Rome, I would love to focus on the work of Bernini, one of my favorite sculptors - and also revisit some favorite spots.

I am totally open like a sponge and welcome your suggestions and comments! Thank you in advance! Hope you make it a good day!

Edited: 25 January 2013, 16:12
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,523 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Driving from Ortisei to Verona Villafranca airport

Hi Margie,

How lovely, an additional 7-8 nights!

Mentioned the Val d’Orcia just today, a stunningly beautiful area - tripadvisor.com/…46749224

And Southern Tuscany positioned well for Rome, but as I began reading your post, Piemonte was my first thought - Piedmont vs Umbria:

tripadvisor.com/…46721452

Both naturally beautiful areas....

Vagabonda

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
729 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Driving from Ortisei to Verona Villafranca airport

HI Vagabonda,

I'll check out those areas - thanks for helping me once again with envisioning possibilities.

Margie

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,523 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Driving from Ortisei to Verona Villafranca airport

Prego Margie,

I suspect you would be happy in either the Val d'Orcia or Piemonte.

Southern Tuscany is bucolic, no doubt, and its proximity to Rome is an advantage, but Piemonte's cuisine, cheeses, truffles, and wines are admired throughout Italy, and Piemonte is truly not touristy, and so pristine.

Enjoy....

Vagabonda

Get answers to your questions about Ortisei