We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Rome to Umbria (Amelia)

Which Orvieto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ALABAMA
6 posts
Save Topic
Transportation from Rome to Umbria (Amelia)

I'm traveling with my husband and two children from Rome to Umbria. Should we take the train or get a car service? We will only be in Italy for a week, any itinerary suggestions would be helpful!

Dublin
Level Contributor
195 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Rome to Umbria (Amelia)

I can only judge by my trip last year to Spoleto and Florence from Rome. Italy's railway system seems cheap and efficient. There is a high steep step onto the trains though - wouldn't fancy lugging too much luggage (or kiddies) onto the trains. A lot of Umbria are 'hilltowns' - with no easy pubic transportation (trains or buses). There a car would be the only option.

On Umbria - I so enjoyed Spoleto. But then I so enjoyed Umbria - the scenery was something else. This year will be returning to Spoleto but also hopefully enjoying Orvieto. Best wishes

ALABAMA
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Rome to Umbria (Amelia)

Thank you! The thought of driving in Italy scares me to death! We are going t be in a hill town - Amelia, but want to go to Florence, Sienna, and other places. Are trains the best bet?

Dublin
Level Contributor
195 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Rome to Umbria (Amelia)

I have to admit straight off that I have only been to Umbria once and then briefly. I am no expert and most of the information I have gleaned has predominanty come from the 'net' - and therefore may or may not be accurate.

I would advise you to visit 2 sites.

trenitalia.com/en/orari_biglietti/index.html

…uchicago.edu/Thayer/…accessibility.html

The places you mention seem to be do-able by train but complicated. My reading of say your Amelia - Florence trip would be that you would have to get a bus or taxi to Amelia's nearest railway and then train it to Florence and then back again. Siena might involve another train change. It sounds like you would be more relaxed on the trains - and isn't this what holidays are about. P.s I've seen a picture of Amelia - it looks wonderful Best wishes.

Dublin
Level Contributor
195 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Rome to Umbria (Amelia)

Also in an earlier post 'nbeale 84' posted the following web address re: bus travel to and from Orvieto (it includes Amelia)

www.atcterni.it/inv07/extra%20orvieto.pdf

I have no italien - I think the first three pages are bus timetables from Orvieto and the last 3 pages are timetables to Orvieto. If anyone has translation skills could they let me know via the Forum

Orvieto sounds wonderful - I hope to visit there in September.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,469 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Rome to Umbria (Amelia)

Amelia is not on a railway line. The nearest station is just to the east at Narni. I am sure that a local bus or a taxi will take you the short distance from Narni to Amelia.

The railway line from Rome goes through Narni and on to Terni, Spoleto and eventually Assisi.

The train system is efficient and reaosnably priced in Italy. I much prefer train travel to driving a car on Italian roads and competing with Italian drivers.

Italy
Level Contributor
253 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Rome to Umbria (Amelia)

Of course it depends upon your budget but I read on this Forum a rave review of www.umbriadriver.com So if there is somewhere that you simply must see...ie Siena then this wouldbe a far more restful option than either the buses or trains as Siena isn't an easy journey from Amelia.

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Rome to Umbria (Amelia)

You didn't say when or where you were going but we just returned from 3 weeks in Italy 3 days in Rome, 2 weeks at a rented villa in Umbria, and a final 2 days in Rome so I pass along some info that might be helpful.

The 'Regionale' train service in Italy is excellent. It's cheap, clean, runs frequently, and is one of the few things that operates on time. Depending on where you are going in Umbria, I would strongly recommend taking the train. Once in Umbria (depending on which town you are going to), you could rent a car to get around. Most of the Umbria hill towns are some distance from each other and you will need a mode of local transportation. In our case, we rented a 9 passenger mini van from a local company - Il Girasole at their Cortona-Terontola office. They have a number of locations (mostly in Tuscany) but I found they had good vehicles at good prices. You can find them on line and the owner, Massimo, speaks English.

As for an itinerary, the big draw in Umbria is Assisi however, there are a number of hill towns that are not to be missed. Our favorites (in order) were Gubbio, Spoleto, Orvieto, Todi, and Assisi. We spent a day in Perugia but compared to the other Umbrian towns, didn't care for it.

We had never spent any time in Umbria until this trip and were very pleased that we decided to make a villa in Umbria our home base - there is so much to see there.

Hope that helps. Buon viaggio.

8. Re: Transportation from Rome to Umbria (Amelia)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 01:19