We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

unusual and wonderful Umbrian experiences?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
157 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
unusual and wonderful Umbrian experiences?

Hi! We're going to be very close to Orvieto next May, for 3 or 4 days at a time between trips to Florence and Venice. Has anyone got quirky, terrific experiences/sights/eateries to recommend? I've already got a lot of information on the well-known attractions of the major towns, but I'm wondering about off-the-beaten-track places we could drive to. (we are 6 adults, a quasi-family group ranging from 19 to 50ish).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,462 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: unusual and wonderful Umbrian experiences?

If you like ceramics go to Deruta. Most of the town revolves around the production of ceramics and you can go into many shops and look at their production.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
157 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: unusual and wonderful Umbrian experiences?

Thanks, Jerryott: I think this looks interesting.

Ireland
Level Contributor
922 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: unusual and wonderful Umbrian experiences?

Assisi has an annual festival in May called the Calendimaggio. This musical contest with pagan roots is provisionaly scheduled to take place on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday following the first of May. It takes the form of a ritual song and balladry contest between the "upper" and "lower" sections of the city, and the festivities are accompanied by crowds of enthusiastic costumed revellers who recreate an authentic medieval atmosphere. There are also archery, crossbow and flag-waving displays.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
157 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: unusual and wonderful Umbrian experiences?

Ugh! We'll be arriving in the area on the Sunday right after that festival!! what a pity. Thank you anyway!

boston, ma
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: unusual and wonderful Umbrian experiences?

Todi is another wonderful, picturesque medieval town a bit east of Orvieto. We were there last year in May and had a wonderful lunch at Ristorante Umbria in the middle of town. We sat in the covered patio in back with a view of the Umbrian countryside below. We had pasta with truffles that was out of this world and an assortment of local vegetables that still has my mouth water at the thought. The men in the group also loved the cinghiale (wild boar). I recommend you make a reservation earlier that morning even for lunch because it does get crowded--that way you can be sure to get a table close to the railing for a memorable view.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
157 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: unusual and wonderful Umbrian experiences?

Sounds absolutely fabulous! Thanks very much!

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,462 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: unusual and wonderful Umbrian experiences?

I second what balmi says about Todi also. My wife and I spent 2 days there and stayed at Hotel Fonte Cesia. The dinner at Hotel Umbria was fantastic, especially the view from the terrace in back. It was really great; food, view, atmosphere, everything.

jerryott@dtnspeed.net

San Gemini Umbria...
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: unusual and wonderful Umbrian experiences?

I can recommend you to try the outdoors activities... caving and canyoning... if you interested contact me... guide.team@email.it

Perugia Italy
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: unusual and wonderful Umbrian experiences?

Try an Umbrian Culinary Dinner at the home of an Italian cook, she lives 10 minutes from the historical center of Perugia. She does private dinners with an American Hostess who will share the culinary tradition and explain the dishes that they have prepared. It is for all ages and it is a home cooked meal away from home!!

Check it out www.umbriacooks4u.com

London, UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: unusual and wonderful Umbrian experiences?

Hi!

I've just returned from Orvieto.

I did a painting course in a nearby village called Baschi, and would like to recommend the restaurant I visited.

My art teacher took me to a trattoria called 'Mezzaluna', which she swears is only visited by Italians!

We went there at 8 pm, and it was completely empty.

At exactly 8.30 pm the place filled up with Italians and the atmosphere was great!!

We had pasta for first course, which wasthe best pasta I've ever had (I had something called umbrichelle a la etrusca, the sauce was sausages and mushrooms, superb...)

The second course was mainly meat, and was a little less impressive, a deep fried steak cooked with tomato sauce and parmesano cheese. Maybe I chose something a little unexciting.

Still fully recommended.

Also in the Piazza del duomo, is the gelateria voted third best of the whole of Italy by the Italian tourist board (out of Rome, apparently), and I had a fantastic chocolate and rum icecream. Mmm

I hope that helps

Maria