We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Civitavecchia to Orvieto for a few days-post cruise?

niagara
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Civitavecchia to Orvieto for a few days-post cruise?

So I've looked into Orvieto here on TA since I've often seen it recommended by members. It looks very beautiful with much to see-gothic cathedral, breath-taking country views, etruscan caves, etc, etc.

In October(I know it's a long way off!)my husband and I will be taking another med. cruise, returning to Civitavecchia. We have a few days before our flight home and thought about spending one full day in Ostia Antica BUT I don't want to stay in Ostia because what we saw of it last time was less than inspiring. We are thinking about renting a car in Civitavecchia and driving to Orvieto, stay for a few days and then pop over to Ostia Antica before catching our flight back.

Just wondering if there's anyplace else I should look into-we REALLY like ruins and good food.

Google Maps said it's about an hour and 40mins from Civitavecchia to Orvieto-is that about right?

Now, I've thought about Viterbo and we actually drove close to it on a past trip to see the Monster Gardens of Bomarzo. Got caught in a horrible rain storm and didn't see the park.

Any other neat places worthy of the drive?-don't really want to drive more than 2 hours outside Rome.

Thanks,

Carolyn

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,656 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Civitavecchia to Orvieto for a few days-post cruise?

You could always take the excellent Italian train service. See www.trenitalia.it for timetables. Orvieto is in Umbria, slightly less overcrowded with tourist than Tuscany. Certainly Orvieto is well worth visiting. The Duoma facade is quite overwhelming in it ostentation - coloured marbles and gold leaf. The inside is equally gorgeous.

Also in Umbria and well worth visiting are places such as Spoleto. 8 mlies north is the Fonti di Clitunno - sacred springs into which the Romans used to wash animals before sacrifice. Nearby is the Tempietto di Clitmnus a tiny late Roman Christian oratory or small chapel.

Across the border in Tuscany the small walled, hill top town of Pienza I like very much. It was largely rebuilt by local lad made good - Eneo Silvio Piccolomini - Pope Pius II. Whilst he was Pope from 1458 to 1464 he built a new central square to the designs of Bernardo Rossellino

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Civitavecchia to Orvieto for a few days-post cruise?

As Robert J suggests, I would take the train to Orvieto and then rent a car to visit the sights on day trips. My wife and I really liked Gubbio.

There is a hotel in an old monastery, oerlooking the valley. Can't get my hands on the name right now, but it was great. Perhaps someone on this board can help.

And do try the Orvieto white wine!

3. Re: Civitavecchia to Orvieto for a few days-post cruise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 16:19