We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay around Orvieto & guidebook

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Place to stay around Orvieto & guidebook

Help!! We are looking forward to our walking holiday in September staying at Orvieto, Bolsena, Sovana & Montemerano. We were hoping to travel to Perugia for 3 days before finishing our holiday in Rome but we don't have a car & it's very difficult to get from Montemerano to Perugia by public transport. Could you please recommend somewhere similar to stay where we could travel by public transport/taxi on a Sunday. Also does anyone know a good guidebook for the area please as all the guidebooks I've seen are for a much larger area. Many thanks

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay around Orvieto & guidebook

See Villa degli Ulivi TA reviews in Orvieto.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay around Orvieto & guidebook

If you're traveling on a Sunday, you really need to stay in a place where you can get a train, because bus service is very scanty on Sundays. This would rule out a lot of small villages, especially in Tuscany. Do you want to stay near Orvieto? Does it matter if it's not a village, but maybe a small city?

There is a train line that goes from Orvieto to Arezzo, and there is another line that connected Arezzo to Perugia. If you could find somewhere to stay near a station on one of these lines, it would be fairly easy to get to Perugia on a Sunday. You can see the stations if you go to www.trenitalia.it and choose the English language option. Put Orvieto and Arezzo as your starting and ending point, or Arezzo and Perugia. Then, look for a regional train, with no connections, between those two points. Click on the little "i for information" sign next to the train type and number, and a window will open showing all the intermediate stations. Then look for lodging near one of those stations. In this area, the towns tend to be on hilltops and the stations down in the valley, so there are often two towns, on opposite sides of the valley, that give their names to the stations.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay around Orvieto & guidebook

Very many thanks for your detailed reply, it was very much appreciated. I think we are going to leave Perugia for another trip & we are considering Pitigliano instead. It looks beautiful & we would have to get there from Montemerano on a Sunday, could you please advise us which would be the best method of transport? We also need to get back to Rome on the Wednesday, is the nearest train station Orvieto & how easy is it to get from Pitigliano to Orvieto on a Wednesday? Many thanks

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay around Orvieto & guidebook

Still interested in guidebooks?

Whilst a few years old now - so perhaps buy 2nd hand copies (and look elsewhere for more current info on opening days and times etc!) - these are from a writing team whose output we've found to be particularly entertaining and informative....

Tuscany Umbria and the Marches - 2007

amazon.co.uk/Tuscany-Umbria-Marches-Cadogan-…

Umbria - 2009

amazon.co.uk/Cadogan-Guide-Umbria-Dana-Facar…

And, while you're at it, perhaps also worth getting this - which doesn't cover Umbria at all, but does a nice job for Rome, and the regions of Lazio, Abruzzo and Molise....

Rome and Central Italy - 2009

amazon.co.uk/Rome-Central-Italy-Cadogan-Guid…

Possibly even available through your local library?

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay around Orvieto & guidebook

Many thanks Peter, I'll have a look at these. Kind regards.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to stay around Orvieto & guidebook

I don't think there's any way to get from Pitigliano to Montemerano on a Sunday, unless you rent a car or hire a taxi or private driver. Buses in Italy run on schedules that are convenient mostly for students, who often study at specialized high schools in other towns. A few workers use buses also, but there is almost no demand on a Sunday, so only on very important routes will you find a bus on a Sunday. Trains usually do run on Sundays, although on a reduced schedule, which is why I suggested above staying in a town that's on a train line on the Saturday night. Otherwise, if you don't want to use a car, you should stay put until Monday.

There is one early bus on weekdays between Montemerano and Grosseto, where you can get a direct train to Rome.

http://www.ramamobilita.it/~linee_orari/orari/pdf/Q_1.pdf

You should also be aware that even small towns in Italy often cover a *lot* of territory, so if you're staying in a certain town, you can't assume that where you're staying will be anywhere near the center of town, which is usually where the bus stops. Sometimes, especially in the case of hill towns, the bus stops at the bottom of the hill, in which case the stop is often called something like "Pitigliano bivio". You should make sure that the place where you stay can tell you exactly how to get there from the bus stop, or offer to pick you up.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to stay around Orvieto & guidebook

Many thanks again for your prompt reply. As our walking holiday doesn't finish until the Saturday evening, we have no choice but to stay in Montemerano on the Saturday night & it's all booked and paid for. Do you know if taxis are taxis readily available to take us from Montemerano to Pitigliano on the Sunday or is there somewhere in Montemerano to hire a car from for 3 days? Your help is so much appreciated & I thank you again. Also is Orvieto the best place to get a train to Rome on the Wednesday or is there somewhere closer to Pitigliano or is there a bus?

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to stay around Orvieto & guidebook

Oops sorry I just saw that you gave me details of how to get to Rome. Thanks again

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to stay around Orvieto & guidebook

I see that I was mistaken in the direction of your travel; I thought you were going from Pitigliano to Montemerano on the Saturday night. Thus the schedule I gave you earlier was from Montemerano to Grosseto. Here is the schedule from Pitigliano to Grosseto, which has more frequent departures:

http://www.ramamobilita.it/~linee_orari/orari/pdf/Q_41.pdf

As for getting from Montemerano to Pitigliano on the Sunday, I'm afraid I don't know anything about taxis in that area, and I don't think there are any car rental agencies in such a little town. Would it be possible to spend Sunday in Montemerano and leave on Monday? There are several departures on weekdays leaving from Via Fermi in Montemerano, with a change at Manciano.

Another thought, the organization that planned this walking tour should be able to tell you how to get away from Montemerano on a Sunday, shouldn't they? If not they, perhaps the owners of the place where you're staying Saturday night?

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Place to stay around Orvieto & guidebook

many thanks again. Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly enough. The timetable you sent the link for, I presume this is a bus timetable to take us to Grosseto & from there we would catch our train to Rome? I'm going to contact our tour operator, this is turning into quite a saga! Kind regards