We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top attractions In Orvieto

Boston
Level Contributor
119 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Top attractions In Orvieto

So I was reading through all the reviews and I have the duomo and torre del muro on my list but what else does anyone recommend? I am seeing a lot about caves but which tour is worth it?

Also thinking of Todi that day if you have any tips.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
54 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top attractions In Orvieto

We're in Orvieto now, will have a total of 3 days here. The Duomo is beautiful. Rick Steve's has a great description of the frescoes etc in his Italy book.

We enjoyed the Underground Tour offered thru the visitors center (given in English), and the self-guided Pozza della Cava. We actually thought the Pozza della Cava had more to see, but it was helpful to have heard the history on the Underground Tour. If you only have time for one, I personally would opt for the Pozza della Cava, just read up on it beforehand. The owner is very friendly, and we enjoyed a delicious lunch at the terrace restaurant there.

We have not done the tower yet. We did find St Patrick's Well fascinating.

We walked along 1/2 of the pathway that circles the base of Orvieto, which took us to the Etruscan Necropolus. It was a great walk, as you get views looking up at the rock that Orvieto sits atop, as well as vistas out over the rolling hills, vineyards, etc.

Tomorrow we're heading to Bagnoreggio and Civita. There is a lot to see and do here, the town is charming, with lots of shops, bars, and restaurants.

Canal Fulton, Ohio
Level Contributor
369 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top attractions In Orvieto

We're looking at Orvieto also for a 2-3 day stay, with a day trip to Civita. How is the place you are staying Desertcat?

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
54 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top attractions In Orvieto

We loved Hotel Duomo ( I wrote a short review). It was a perfect location for everything, quiet, spotless, and we had a very nice sized room (Jr Suite with view). The view of the duomo was really just a sliver, so I wouldn't base my room selection on that. There was a balcony, but very small, and we wound up not spending any time on it. I would definitely stay there again if we go back, but might opt for a different room. The breakfast was generous, typical Italian breakfast, friendly staff, delicious cappuccinos.

Civita was fascinating to see, but very small and not a whole lot to do there. There are a handful of shops. Also, if you're going by bus, the bus schedule is a little limited, and I was worried we would feel rushed to see it all. We got there in time for lunch, and wandered around the whole town, enjoyed the vistas from the town, and got back to Orvieto around 4 or 5. That was plenty of time for us to leisurely explore it. We were hungry when we got there, and ate at the very first place we came to, but it wasn't the best -- we had a sandwich and bruschetta, both a bit dry. We saw several places further in that looked better. Also, never found any gelato, which we were craving!

Enjoy your trip! It's a great area to explore.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top attractions In Orvieto

misstoscana,

This may help http://www.argoweb.it/orvieto/orvieto.uk.html

Scranton...
Level Contributor
539 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top attractions In Orvieto

misstoscana,

Here's my blog from our day trip to Orvieto in May of 2013. Perhaps you'll get some ideas. We took the Orvieto Underground tour as well as visiting Pozzo della Cava. Both are interesting, and both are included in the Orvieto Card.

http://zukini.travellerspoint.com/121/

Edited: 27 October 2013, 21:29
Canal Fulton, Ohio
Level Contributor
369 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top attractions In Orvieto

Thanks Desertcat. Sounds about exactly how we want to do the day trip to Civita. Coming in to Orvieto after 3 days in Rome, I'm deciding on 2, or possibly 3 days stay there before we move on to Siena.

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top attractions In Orvieto

Hi, we have visited orvieto the 1st Oct (4 weeks ago) buying the cumulative ticket to visit all the site for 14 euro each.

Duomo, Archeological Museum, Faina museum, Torre del Moro, Civic museum, St. Patrick's well, Orvieto underground and local transport plus cable car rides were all included. For the underground there are two guided tours daily in English, we booked the second at 3.30 at the tourist information point in Duomo square.

Didn't manage to see all the sites in 7 hours because spent 1 and half hour to have lunch at Trattoria del Moro and looking for ceramic souvenirs afterwords. Went back to Assisi in the evening with sore legs but really satisfied as Orvieto is very fulfilling like Rome but more liveable like Ascoli Piceno, Perugia and Macerata

Not missing to go back to Rome.

Canal Fulton, Ohio
Level Contributor
369 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top attractions In Orvieto

Nice blog MrZ.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,562 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Top attractions In Orvieto

I haven't gotten a post up on the underground tour in Orvieto yet, but did put one up on our trip to Civita Bagneregio

…wordpress.com/2011/…

The views back towards Orvieto from the back road to Civita are stunning; alas we ended up coming back a different way and so I missed getting the great photo -- I KNOW to always get the picture when you see it, but we were in one lane heavy traffic and stopping wasn't easy -- still should have done it as the side of Orvieto on its plateau is some kind of wonderful

West Chester...
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Top attractions In Orvieto

You are right about the view of Orvieto from the Civita direction (i.e. coming up from the southwest). Got to see that view 4 days in a row but it can be slow if you get behind a truck. Our first trip to italy we missed that view completely because we can in from the main road direct from Rome. Unfortunately this time it meant driving back down the dark winding road at night on 3 of those days.