We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wineries in Orvieto?

Which Orvieto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Wineries in Orvieto?

We will be coming to Orvieto in just over a week. I was wondering if there are any wineries in Orvieto who allow for visitors that any of you can recommend? We are thinking of doing a wine tour or Umbria but we will have a 10 month old baby with us and we don't want others on the tour to be bothered with the baby's napping and feeding schedules. So if there is an opportunity to visit a winery or two in the town that would be awesome.

I'd also welcome recommendations on local places (restaurants, enotecas, etc.) to find good local wines to sit and drink at.

Thanks in advance for your tips!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wineries in Orvieto?

Hi again! Most of the wineries all around the outskirts of Orvieto can be visited during the day (my favorites are Le Velette, Custodi, Barberani & Il Palazzone) for a small fee or sometimes for free! But your best bet since you're travelling with a baby is to go to the Palazzo del Gusto up in Orvieto which houses our regional wine cellar under the courtyard of the Church of San Giovanni...there are grottoes underneath and there you can try many different kinds of wine from all over Umbria!

There are 2 lovely enotecas right in the piazza of the Duomo: Foresi and Enoteca del Duomo.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wineries in Orvieto?

Grazie didi1069! The Palazzo del Gusto sounds great and like a lot of fun. We will check out the enotecas, too.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
891 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wineries in Orvieto?

We liked Enoteca al Duomo also. TA also lists it as an "attraction" so there must be another business with the same name. here is my review: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g194843-d253…

The 3 wines for Euro 10 was a great deal.

Edited: 21 April 2014, 20:58
Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
891 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wineries in Orvieto?

Another eatery that we really enjoyed was down a side street about 2 blocks directly across from the Duomo named something like Enoteca Etruscan Typica. The artichoke appetizer was awesome and I enjoyed the local dish of pigeon. I know, sounds a bit strange but it came with a tasty sauce. Take the underground tour and you'll learn about the critical role pigeons played in the Etruscan's survival against the siege attacks on the city. Don't forget to walk down St. Patrick's well. Unforgetable.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wineries in Orvieto?

We went to Enoteca al Duomo tonight. We intended to have some wine and appetizers and then go elsewhere for dinner but instead we ended up having a full meal there. Everything was delicious. I tried two wines - the white Orvieto Classico and the Viognier. I thought both were very good. The staff was really friendly and there was a mix of Italians and Americans dining there. Unfortunately it was raining out so we had to sit inside but it was cozy and therefore made us forget about the less than ideal weather outside.

6. Re: Wineries in Orvieto?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 05:15