We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight ferry experience?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight ferry experience?

We'll be coming from Sicily to the Amalfi Coast, starting with Paestum and traveling back west. Apparently there are two ways to do this -- fly to Naples and backtrack over land or sea, or take a l-o-n-g overnight ferry trip (13 hours or so). I'm inclined to fly -- at least I'd be doing that during the day and could have an atmospheric dinner out and sleep in a good hotel.

But I should probably ask the question, anyway, what are these overnight ferry trips like? Can you get a cabin and a bed, similar to a train sleeper car, or is it more like plane travel, with rows of seats? Are the seats reserved? I've looked at numerous ferry company websites but in addition to being confused by the way they set up their sailing tables, I can't find any references (in English, anyway) to their facilities and amenities.

Appreciate hearing from someone who's done a long ferry trip. Thank you.

Maryland
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight ferry experience?

We did an overnight ferry from Palermo to Naples and found that it was well worth it. We used Tirrenia, so I can't comment on other companies. We booked an inside cabin; it had two twin beds and a small bathroom, including a shower. Outside cabins were a little more expensive, but I didn't see the point of paying extra money for a window for one night. There was also a section of airplane-like seating that was less expensive. The ship had two or three restaurants/cafes, a game room, and a little shop.

Basically, we chose this option because it saved us sightseeing time during the day. Instead of spending half a day travelling to/from airports and waiting for flights, we were able to travel at night; it also saved us the cost of one night's hotel room. Then again, we were more interested in sights than dinners or nice hotels, so that might make a difference.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight ferry experience?

Thank you, summerroaming. That's exactly what I couldn't figure out on my own.

3. Re: Overnight ferry experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 19:17