We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paestum Or Agrigento?

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Paestum Or Agrigento?

Hello,

I have 1 extra day during my holiday and am undecided whether to visit Paestum or Agrigento. Does anyone know between these two Greek ruins, which one is more unique, spectacular & well-preserved?

During my holidays, I will stay a few days in Sorrento and a few days in Palermo, so logistic wise, I should be able to go to either of the place easily.

Will appreciate it if anyone can share some of your experiences and opinion with me on this matter.

Thanks

Fiala

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,812 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paestum Or Agrigento?

Neither of these sites are particuary near the places you are staying, both sites are worth visiting personally the Valley of Temples Agrigento I feel is superior, and there is also a very good modern Museum there,

2. Re: Paestum Or Agrigento?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2008, 17:46
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,307 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Paestum Or Agrigento?

Agrigento is the more significant site and is easily reached from Palermo.

You could reach Agrigento by train or bus from Palermo in about two hours.

Trenitalia:

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Cuffaro:

http://www.cuffaro.it/home.html

http://www.cuffaro.info/

www.cuffaro.info/index.php…

Paestum is one of the easiest to reach Greek site in Western Europe (on the mainland), but Sicily offers more opportunities for visiting many Greek sites.

Vagabonda

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Paestum Or Agrigento?

Thanks Sophie for your thoughts

Why did you say that based on where I will be staying, it is not easy for me to get to either Pasetum or Agrigento?

I know from Palermo, it is about 5 hours to get to Agrigento but from Sorrento, it should be quick and easy to get to Paestum?? Am I not right? So how can I go to Pasetum from Sorrento if I don't drive?

Thanks

Fiala

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,307 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Paestum Or Agrigento?

Fiala,

It’s only two hours to get from Palermo to Agrigento.

If you were to drive, Palermo is 127km from Agrigento and it would take 01h50 to drive.

Sorrento is 100km and would take 01h45 to drive – on the inland autostrada route (A3), not along the slower Amalfi Coast.

From Sorrento you would take the Circumvesuviana (train) to the Pompeii Scavi station where you would walk to the main train line in Pompeii.

Circumvesuviana:

http://www.vesuviana.it/

Vagabonda

Roma
Level Contributor
205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paestum Or Agrigento?

Hi Fiala,

Paestum is easy from Sorrento.

Last time we took train from Pompeii to Paestum in exactly one hour. The cost was a few euro. Our trip video of Sorrento may be seen right here on TripAdvisor:

tripadvisor.com/ProfileGallery-i18590761.html

These Doric Temples are the best preserved in the world.

Agrigento is a living city today - and offers so much in the way of history one may spend days exploring. If you decide to go to Agrigento I suggest touring with a local guide the first time.

Both are incredibly historic sites with well-preserved architecture.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Paestum Or Agrigento?

Thanks Vagabonda and Web Vision Italy for sharing your views.

That was what I felt too...torn between the two equally magnificent places !! Italy is just full of very spectacular sights... a great open-air musuem!!

I have not decided yet...but might end up visiting both and reduce the number of days I plan to spend with my friends in Italy :-(

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,812 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paestum Or Agrigento?

I really did not say it was hard, just that it is quite a distance,

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,307 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Paestum Or Agrigento?

Two would be wonderful, but if you have time for only one, Agrigento would be the one!

Vagabonda

10. Re: Paestum Or Agrigento?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 11:36