We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am really confused!

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
986 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
I am really confused!

Hi there!

I am just beginning to plan my very first trip to Italy - which has been my dream destination for a long time.

I have always put it off because I feel like I would need about 6 months to experience it fully!

I realize now that that may never happen so we decided to book a mere one week trip!

So far, I have 3 nights booked in Rome, and 2 nights booked in Paestum.

The 2 places I have always dreamed of seeing are - the Amalfi coast and the ruins at Pompei and Herculaneum.

I was thinking that if I stay in Salerno for the last 2 nights - OR is it Sorrento (Sorry brain freeze right now) - I could possibly get to do both.

I am, however not the type of person who thinks "quantity over quality" nor am I a "rush around - must check my list off" - type person.

I would much rather "experience" Italy - rather than "Seeing Italy" - if you know what I mean.

So I might be aiming too high here.

My gut is that I should just extend my stay in Paestum, and possibly do a day trip from there to Pompei(or is it too far and difficult to travel from there - we won't be driving - so train or buses)

Or should we just move on and spend our last 2 nights in Pompei?

(I'm sure I will be utterly amazed by Pompei - and definitely don't want to rush through it)

Or should we give up a night in Rome and stop in Pompei for a night on our way to Paestum?

And then spen the last 2 nights on the coast (or still relaxing in Paestum??)

Any help/advice/two cents will be appreciated.

Thank you so much!!

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Paestum
Paestum
Capaccio-Paestum, Italy
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
986 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: I am really confused!

Thanks tripletime!

We are actually flying to Rome from the UK as we have a wedding to attend there in June. (otherwise I would be going for 2 weeks - and definitely not in the summer!!)

So it will be a very short flight for us. But yes I think our plans will be simple that first night regardless!-

Thanks for your input!

Cheers

Nel

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,856 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: I am really confused!

Nel,

Thought you might also appreciate information on this ferry.

http://www.coopsantandrea.com/index_en.asp

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: I am really confused!

I completely missed this thread although I had noticed in some separate message that Nelly was spending the night in Paestum...

Here are some photos I took of the temples six years ago:

thomas144.com:8080/public/…paestum.htm

I have stayed in Paestum while visiting relatives who have a summer place near the beach in Lido Lago.

There isn't a lot going on in Paestum - two nights there might be a bit excessive.

Mentioned in this post
Paestum
Paestum
Capaccio-Paestum, Italy
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: I am really confused!

also, I meant to add: when in Paestum, just eat the Buffala Mozarella - it's really hard to get milk from a Buffalo.

Mentioned in this post
Paestum
Paestum
Capaccio-Paestum, Italy
York, England
Level Contributor
20 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: I am really confused!

I entirely agree that it is overkill to do Pompei and Herculano on the same day. Allocate either a full day to Pompei or a long half day to Hercolano. Both will reward you. If it's hot you can't take enough waterto drink.

The peastum and Cilento region is less packed, less known and cheaper and the beaches are sandy rather than rocky although there are rocky places further south for great snorkeling, drystal clear waters.

Paestum is absotuely magical, especially the ruins by night. The museum is fascinatine. We love the little town of Agropoli, which also comes alive at night. We'll be going back to this area this Summer, having found what we think of as the real Italy here. loads of fabulous festivals and things for locals where we are made welcome anyway, and it's a fantastic base for exploration, both by car and ferry. It can also be inexpensive. We just stay about 10 days and alternate a long exploratory trip with down days on the sandy beaches and evening meanders. we love the mozzarella but have found some super places to eat. If you can find a hilltop village festival there are things to try from stalls!

Mentioned in this post
Paestum
Paestum
Capaccio-Paestum, Italy
Agropoli
Agropoli
Province of Salerno, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
26. Re: I am really confused!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 09:20