We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salerno to Paestum by train, confused?

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Salerno to Paestum by train, confused?

I am staying in Salerno on the 22nd of this month, and im confused by what I am reading on how to get to Paestum.

One website suggest the train station at Paestum is called Capaccio-Roccadaspide. Another just says it is known as "Paestum"

If I input both of these stations into the Italia rail website, I get different arrival times, therefore im assuming these are different stations?

http://www.italiarail.com/

Can someone tell me exactly how to get to Paestum from Salerno? and once at the train station are the ruins far?

EDIT: I just found this on another site

"Paestum is well connected by public transportation, with several trains stopping at its two train stations: Capaccio-Roccadaspide (formerly Capaccio Scalo) and Paestum, only 5 minutes from each other. The first is in the village of Capaccio Scalo, closer to the ruins of the Sanctuary of Hera Argiva; the second is near the archaeological area of Paestum (about 1km, or a half-mile)"

So which is the best station to get of at to view the 3 temples?

Thank you all

Edited: 08 August 2013, 14:57
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Salerno to Paestum by train, confused?

There are boxes on poles (some are an orangey color, some greenish) by the train platforms - you need to insert the regional ticket into it and it will stamp it - from that point on, the ticket is good for 6 hours; if you do not validate it, the conductor will impose a hefty fine on the spot when you hand him/her an unvalidated ticket.

You do NOT need to validate tickets that are have reserved seats - just the unreserved ones on the regional trains.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Salerno to Paestum by train, confused?

If you were to take the BUS between Salerno and Paestum, you similarly would need to "validate" the ticket in the little stamping machine next to the driver's seat, or risk a hefty fine if caught without a stamped ticket.

BTW, a one-way ticket (BUS or Train) from Salerno to Paestum (or return) costs 3.40 Euros. You need an UNICO CAMPANIA E5 Biglietto Orario ticket for this route (two tickets for a round trip). The ticket must be "validated" upon boarding the bus (or prior to boarding the train).

IF travelling on a Saturday or a Sunday, you can save money by purchasing the UNICO CAMPANIA WEEK-END GIORNALIERO ticket (valid until midnight on the weekend day used), for only 5.50 Euros (intead of 6.80 Euros for two one-way tickets). This full-day ticket is "validated" only upon the FIRST use of a train or bus. It remains valid for the return trip on the same week-end day.

From Monday through Friday, you should purchase two regular one-way tickets (called "BIGLIETTO ORARIO")

On the face of these tickets, you are asked to write in "Salerno" and "Capaccio-Paestum" as the origin/destination (the reverse if on the return trip using a one-way ticket). This allows the ticket inspector to determine whether you've stayed on the bus/train longer than what is permitted. On the week-end ticket, you're also asked to write in your name and date of birth (this allows the ticket inspector to see whether somebody else is using your ticket, assuming that such person is of the other gender or is otherwise much older or younger than the birthdate shown).

I should stop providing more details about the transportation "rules", lest you might lose interest in making this daytrip!

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Salerno to Paestum by train, confused?

right very confused now haha!

so basically... ill be going to Paestum on a friday from Salerno..

Me and my partner will by 2 x BIGLIETTO ORARIO tickets EACH, one for the journey there, and one for the journey back, as Paestum is an unmanned station.

On 2 of our tickets we should write "SALERNO-PAESTUM", and on the other 2 we should write "PAESTUM-SALERNO"

We will need to validate the tickets in an orange or grey box on the platform. Do we do all 4 tickets in Salerno? or does the Paestum station have these boxes also?

Have I got it right so far? :-)

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Salerno to Paestum by train, confused?

All correct, EXCEPT you do NOT validate the tickets for the RETURN leg until you depart from Paestum!

The ticket validation machines in Salerno and in Paestum are likely to be the newer green models (the older models are yellow).

The UNICO CAMPANIA E5 BIGLIETTO ORARIO has a validity of 140 minutes from the moment "validated".

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Salerno to Paestum by train, confused?

ok perfect, so when we are done at the ruins and heading back to the train station, validate those tickets then. :-)

all noted in my extensive trips notes! :-) seriously organised when it comes to arranging a holiday, bordering OCD! haha

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Salerno to Paestum by train, confused?

Have a great trip - Paestum is really amazing. Eat as much buffalo mozzarella as you can while you are in the area also!

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Salerno to Paestum by train, confused?

thank you :) im looking forward to it. buffalo mozzarella sounds nice!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Salerno to Paestum by train, confused?

Hello Kamikazi929

Many posts about how to get there but few about what you will see.

I was there in January. The site is very, very small. Three amazing temples, some Roman houses which are overgrown and neglected, an amphitheatre half covered by the road and a museum that is incredible and well worth your time.

You won't need a guide - I just walked around with my Lonely Planet Naples guide book. The museum was amazing. It is brand new and houses the 'diver' which I was able to see by myself - no one else in the whole room. It's like seeing the Sistine Chapel alone, it's that important to world history.

Edited: 09 August 2013, 11:18
Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Salerno to Paestum by train, confused?

thanks Kathy. does the museum have an entrance fee? we were going to skip the museum but your description sounds amazing!

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Salerno to Paestum by train, confused?

NO WAY--don't skip the museum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just don't! In addition to the paintings as Kathy mentioned (some of the most amazing things I've seen), many of the delicate pieces from the temples are houses inside.

There is a fee that is well worth it.

If you walk the ring road around the site, there is a buffala mozzarella farm where you can buy bread and cheese and have lunch.