We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

daytrip to pantelleria info please!

Rayleigh, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
daytrip to pantelleria info please!

Hi,

I have just booked 2 weeks in san vito lo capo (never been before and really looking forward to it) and have been interested by your posts regarding pantelleria is it possible and worthwhile taking a day trip? How much would it cost, by air I guess??? Or perhaps one of the closer smaller islands would be a better choice. Look forward to hearing any suggestions,

Regards Sharon.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,117 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: daytrip to pantelleria info please!

Hi salvagebabe,

Two weeks in San Vito, when??

San Vito is a beach resort (nothing else) and at the tip of the headland, so a distance for touring other sights in western Sicily. Two weeks is a fairly long time to spend here. San Vito has a beautiful sand beach.

Pantelleria is too far for a day trip – but it would be a delightful stay for a few days. The Egadi would be a much more reasonable day excursion reached from Trapani on Ustica Lines.

Ustica Lines:

http://www.usticalines.it/

Ustica Lines has suspended its service from Trapani to Pantelleria.

Siremar does offer night service from Trapani.

Siremar:

http://www.siremar.it/

Meridiana offers flights from Trapani to Pantelleria.

Meridiana:

http://www.meridiana.it/en/index.aspx

Vagabonda

Rayleigh, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: daytrip to pantelleria info please!

Hi Vagabond,

Thanks for your reply I am going just in time to catch the couscous fest, I am actually staying 3 nights in Alcamo enroute,to get over the awful early flight!And have a chance to visit Castellemmare.

Then I have 11 more days to kill, my booking is not confirmed yet, so any ideas? I do want to just chill on the beach for a week and don't want a heavy itinerary, but don't want to miss out on the best sights, either..

I have to say it has been really quite difficult to find accomdation, which is a good sign it must mean the weather is still relaible, but feel pretty weary at the mo glued to my screen!

Cheers Salvagebabe.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,117 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: daytrip to pantelleria info please!

San Vito’s Couscous Fest is great fun – a good time to visit. The Fest is why you have been having a difficult time finding accommodations It's a popular time in San Vito.

Hopefully you will be hiring a car. You could visit Segesta as well from Alcamo and the Zingaro Reserve.

A week in San Vito would be more than enough time to chill on the beach, especially since you will also have the 3 days in Alcamo.

You have several options – stay on Favignana, fly to Pantelleria, or stay in the southwest around Selinunte – also wonderful broad sandy beaches, but wineries in Marsala, and ruins in Selinunte.

This earlier thread offers some accommodation possibilities in this area.

Recommendations PLEASE for my 15-day itinerary in Sicily!:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k2229…

Vagabonda

Rayleigh, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: daytrip to pantelleria info please!

Hi Vagabond,

Thank you so much, you're information is invaluable, the tripadvisor site is a gem!I wouldn't dream of travelling now without checking on it.

Can't wait to go now, have picked up lonely planet guide from library to help me choose where to spend last few days.

Salvagebabe

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,117 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: daytrip to pantelleria info please!

Not to further complicate, but what time is your departing flight?

Your last days should be nearer the airport - like Alcamo. Consider flipping the itinerary and end in Alcamo so you will be well positioned for your flight.

If you have a later flight, not an issue to reach the airport in time.

Vagabonda

6. Re: daytrip to pantelleria info please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 02:20