We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay other than Porto Cervo

San Diego...
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay other than Porto Cervo

Please help!!

My fiance and I will be in Sardinia for 6-7 nights and would like to split the trip up in 2 different areas. Allegro is one spot I believe we are set with but than would like another location close to Porto Cervo area. We have no interest of staying in Porto Cervo but fairly close I suppose and either to the North or South. We don't care to pay the prices or see the "scene" it has too offer the entire stay. However I have read the area has some of the most amazing beaches. Can you please suggest another area for us to stay in? We wouldn't mind spending about $400 a night or so for a nice place on the water. Just would be nice if we could walk into town for lunch/dinner, bars etc. We looked at Porto Rotundo and Golfo Aranci but both appear to be a little off the beaten track a bit. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Thanks!!!

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay other than Porto Cervo

We went to Carloforte and Cala Gonone but it was hard to cut off other location. If we'll go again , will base probably at Cabras and enjoy the beach of Is Arutas and Mal di Ventre island. At Cabras Hotel Villa Canu is one of the best place to stay.

Olbia
Level Contributor
612 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay other than Porto Cervo

Porto Rotondo and Golfo Aranci are certainly not off the beaten track. Porto Rotondo is more exclusive than Golfo Aranci but less than Porto Cervo. The all area on the east coast have very nice beaches, some are not accessible by car. The places mentioned by Aussies11 are also nice places but have nothing in common with the area you would like to visit.

One thing you need to know is that Porto Cervo and Porto Rotondo are a little artificial (unfortunaly), whereas the areas mentioned by Aussies11 are real, more nature made.

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay other than Porto Cervo

Not indeed. When we post in the forum, we try to help normal people who intend to have sustainasle holidays and support family groups instead of international companies who pump up such the area of Costa Smeralda advertised by Berlusconi, Briatore and somebody else that if you cross them in the square, won't say hello!

Sardinia, Italy
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay other than Porto Cervo

Hi!

Sincerely it's hard to suggest you the best place as Sardinia is full of wonderful spots. The Emerald Coast is a VIP paradise and worth a visit if you are looking for the red carpet. Otherwise I would opt for the lovely town of Palau where you can find one of my favourite hotel: Valle dell'Erica Resort. Located in a secluded position in front of La Maddalena Archipelago (a natural paradise not to be missed) if offers romantic corners and an exclusive atmosphere. The food is also delicious!

From Palau you can move to visit the nice Porto Rafael and the rest of the area which is wonderful.

Hope to have been of any help ;)

Sardinia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay other than Porto Cervo

Ditto Claudia-Frinas' reply, only to add that people shouldn't be put off visiting NE Sardinia ( Gallura) by what they have heard about the Costa Smeralda.

The Costa Smeralda is just a small, extremely discreet part of that area, is actually incredibly scenic - there is a reason seriously moneyed Italians built there holiday retreats there - and as resorts go is absolutely nothing like the horrors shows of Benidorm, Torremolinos etc.

Edited: 26 February 2012, 13:19
San Diego...
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay other than Porto Cervo

Thank you so much for everyones replies as they are all very helpful. Do any of youbhave any opinion on staying in the Baja Sardinia area? Appears as if there is a great little town to walk around, enjoybsome meals, beaches and not a far drive to other beaches etc. Thank you!

7. Re: Where to stay other than Porto Cervo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:37