We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving on The Windsurf Sailing cruise,how close is port?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
27 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving on The Windsurf Sailing cruise,how close is port?

Can you walk to town & shopping from the port? What is the difference of Portovenere & Portoferraio? What should we do? Do you know does the ship dock into port or do we use tenders?

United States
Level Contributor
9,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving on The Windsurf Sailing cruise,how close is port?

You can look at Google maps to see the distance from the dock to town, it is very close. The whole town isn't very big. If you are exploring, walk up to Napoleon's house on the hill. (Portoferraio)

I dont' know what you are asking about the difference between Portoferraio and Portovenere. They are both small town with sea access. Portovenere is much smaller and can easily be seen in a few hours. For both places, just walk around and enjoy the atmosphere. Portovenere has a nice quayside selection of restaurants. The church and the castle on the hills have great views.

TAB

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
11,476 posts
488 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving on The Windsurf Sailing cruise,how close is port?

Hi!

Unless your ship is very, very big it'll enter the port.

As for the other questions I quote TABarrett.

Bye :)

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving on The Windsurf Sailing cruise,how close is port?

We'll be on the Windstar cruise in August. Appreciate your question and the responses! Thank you. We've sailed on the Windsurf twice and had a wonderful time. Wish I could hear how your trip went.

Bloomfield Hills...
Level Contributor
6 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving on The Windsurf Sailing cruise,how close is port?

I just booked this same itinerary (I think) on Windsurf for June 2014 (staying in the 501 suite). Would love to hear details on the cruise and good beaches to go to. Or, do you prefer to swim off the yacht?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving on The Windsurf Sailing cruise,how close is port?

Have either of you tried the Trip Advisor affiliated web site Cruisecritic.com where there is a seperate board for Windsurf cruises, a board on different ports called "Ports and Call" and yet another called "Roll Call" where you can comunicate directly with people on you specific cruise?

Edited: 08 April 2013, 17:05
Bloomfield Hills...
Level Contributor
6 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving on The Windsurf Sailing cruise,how close is port?

Joined that today to get more info.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving on The Windsurf Sailing cruise,how close is port?

jongable Having done both cruise travel and independent ground travel, I realize that it is two very different things. Have a good trip.

Bergamo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bergamo, Elba Island
Level Contributor
11,476 posts
488 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving on The Windsurf Sailing cruise,how close is port?

Thanks fatjack for the useful suggestion!

henderson, Nevada...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving on The Windsurf Sailing cruise,how close is port?

My family an I are going on the windsurf cruise in June as well sounds like the same itinerary. I was looking for a site that gives information on each port so we have an idea of what to do. I will look at the cruisecritic.com

This is our first cruise in europe or anyhere for that fact.

10. Re: Arriving on The Windsurf Sailing cruise,how close is port?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 07:20
Get answers to your questions about Portoferraio