We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence to Venice to Rome

Which Porto Venere hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orange Park, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Florence to Venice to Rome

What is the best transportation from Florence to Venice, then to Rome, the most economical too if possible?

We are going on a cruise and will stop at Florence for 11 hours and then Rome the next day. We are planning on not going back into the ship that night but instead go to Venice for overnight stay and then meet the ship the next day in Rome. We just do not want to stay in Florence for 11 hours and waste our night at the ship. There is so much to see in Italy and we want to explore the place as much as we can within a short period of time. Any suggestions, please. Thanks

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,840 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence to Venice to Rome

Let me make sure I understand this.

You're going to take a train from Livorno to Florence for the day, then a train (the most economical route) from Florence to Venice for the night, then a train from Venice to Rome the next day, then a train from Rome back to your ship in Civitavecchia.

Do I have that right?

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence to Venice to Rome

www.trenitalia.com

The fast train from Firenze S.M. Novella to Venezia S. Lucia is 2 hrs, Venice to Roma Termini 3h40mins.

The Rome Forum has the info for To and From Civitavecchia in the Top Questions.

I've never cruised so I'm not familiar with ports, usually the cruise ships dock at Livorno for Florence, you've posted in the Portovenere Forum.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 18:24
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,840 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence to Venice to Rome

The train from Livorno to Florence takes about 90 minutes and costs 9 Euro.

Presumably you’ll have an overnight bag with you so you might want to check that at the left luggage office at Santa Maria Novella station in Florence: www.grandistazioni.it/cms/v/index.jsp…

The train from Florence to Venice takes two hours and costs 45 Euro (second class).

The train from Venice to Rome takes three hours and forty-five minutes and costs 80 Euro.

You can get lower fares for the Florence to Venice and Venice to Rome legs if you purchase in advance from the trenitalia web site: www.trenitalia.com

I realize that you’re trying to pack a lot in but I’d suggest missing Venice for this trip and spending the night either in Florence or Rome.

By the way, don’t forget to take your passports with you as you’ll need them to check into a hotel.

Orange Park, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence to Venice to Rome

Thanks for all your suggestions. We will surely take them into consideration. It's really nice to have an idea on the fares and the length of travel. I really appreciate it.

Orange Park, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence to Venice to Rome

Thanks for your suggestions. Will check out the other forums.

6. Re: Florence to Venice to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 06:17