We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in or near Porto Venere

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Parking in or near Porto Venere

We are planning (ahead!) for June 2014 and want to know about parking if we stay 2 or 3 nights at Porto Venere.

We will be driving from Tuscany to PV before heading to Lake Maggiore where we want to have the car.

It will be the first week of June... will we have much trouble parking at PV and how much will it cost - might determine whether we stay 2 or 3 nights... and is it safe to leave a hire car where ever it is we park our car for 2 or 3 nights? I know it is a waste of the hire fee we pay per day but I dont know whether it will be cheaper to hand the car in at La Spezia and then pick a car up further north?

Any insight into the topic is much appreciated...

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in or near Porto Venere

portovenere.it/html/…index.php

…portovenere.sp.it/cm/…1

www.prolocoportovenere.it/index.php?lang=en

Look at the above links, they might be helpful. Please note the things may change next summer, give 'em a look sometimes.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in or near Porto Venere

Thanks for these links but none of them tell me how much it costs to park and if there is a rate for 24 hours not just hourly...any others? Are the carparks secure for leaving a car for a number of days?

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in or near Porto Venere

This article has lots of specifics regarding arriving and staying in Portovenere, including parking rates.

apathtolunch.com/2013/01/getting-to-portoven…

The deciding factor may be your hotel, as some of them have parking facilities. Be aware of the hotel's location, 'Le Grazie' is in Portovenere but it's not walking distance from the old town.

Yes, the lots at the edge of town are safe in the sense of vandalism, but, of course, you leave nothing visible inside the car and put belongings in the trunk before you arrive.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in or near Porto Venere

Thanks for that though I have found that site and the link for the parking charges doesnt work... I will keep looking and thank you for the comment on the safety of leaving cars in the carpark - we would of course not leave anything visable.

If the shuttle is not going as it will be during the week do you have to walk?

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in or near Porto Venere

The shuttle runs every day in July & August from 8-midnight.

The parking rate link was to the Proloco which eliminated that page, which was confusing anyway. As I remember the daily rate became a discount in the vicinity of 8 hours, so it will be more than 10E per day, since the hourly was 1.25E.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking in or near Porto Venere

We will be there in June so I assume it must be walkable with luggage? Or is it preferable to use the La Spezia carparks where I see there are a couple of free ones and catch a bue?

How are the free carparks for security? Are people with hire cars mad to use these?

I am seriously thinking to avoid the worry we should return the hire car at La Spezia, but it to PV and rehire after 3 nights stay!

E E
Boston...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking in or near Porto Venere

just a thought.... maybe you should leave your car in La Spezia and take the ferry to Porto Venere - I don't know, but imagine that maybe there is a large parking lot at the ferry. Ferry ride to Porto Venere can't be more than 1/2 hour and you certainly don't need a car in PV

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking in or near Porto Venere

There is no parking lot by The ferry departure. There is parking however here

www.atcesercizio.it/index.php…

Piazza D'Armi is also close to the bus route (P) to Portovenere

Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking in or near Porto Venere

Cudgey, is the Piazza D'Armi parking lot within walking distance of the ferry dock in La Spezia? The ferry website has the dock located at the end of Viale Giovanni Amendola... I think it would be easiest to park in La Spezia and take the ferry from there to the Cinque Terre instead of taking the bus to Portovenere and then the ferry.

Boston...
Level Contributor
734 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking in or near Porto Venere

Actually new this year is reservable pay parking at the La Spezia boat dock. Described here apathtolunch.com/2011/04/getting-around-la-s… where's there's info on the free Piazza d'Armi parking which is within walking distance of the boats.

For easy boat schedule comparisons, there's a new article here apathtolunch.com/2013/07/cinque-terre-lerici…