We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is drving to Positano from Rome REALLY that scary?

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is drving to Positano from Rome REALLY that scary?

I am going with my parents and Dad will probably drive...is it really that scary? None of us have a fear of driving...even on windy roads....can someone help me out here?

Positano
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is drving to Positano from Rome REALLY that scary?

The Amalfi Drive is not that bad as they describe it, you will be fine. The only problem is that your dad will not enjoy the beautiful view.

It is not that scary but you will be always on high clifts and a very narrow road.

I am used to it so it is not a big issue for me, what I can suggest to go slow and watch out for the buses. Stop always before the band once you see one. Give them way.

Wayne. New Jersey
Level Contributor
246 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is drving to Positano from Rome REALLY that scary?

The drive is not scary. The view is breathtaking. The ride can be a little sicking because of all the curves in the roads. The only thing to worry about are the crazy and fast way the Italians drive. Be careful.

Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is drving to Positano from Rome REALLY that scary?

I think "Positano" is right, your Dad will not be able to enjoy the beautiful views at all. The road is very dangerous and winding. Our bus wiped a car out last year, which was a bit scary (the driver was not badly injured) I'd leave your hire car at Sorrento and take the bus and then everyone will enjoy the trip. There is a big car park in the middle of Sorrento where you can leave the car - this is also where the tour buses leave from. Also, they give you a commentary the whole way which is very interesting, something you will miss out on if you self-drive.

Maple Glen, PA
Level Contributor
543 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is drving to Positano from Rome REALLY that scary?

where exactly is the parking area you speak of in Sorrento?

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
882 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is drving to Positano from Rome REALLY that scary?

My husband and I flew into Rome last month, picked up our rental car and drove to our apartment in Positano. Even though we were somewhat jetlagged, the drive was not difficult. It took us about 4 hours - we left FCO at 9:15am and were in Positano by 1:30pm, with a stop at an Autogrill for a snack. The Amalfi Coast road is windy and steep, but if you have experience driving on those kinds of roads, you will be fine. My husband drove and he still enjoyed the view.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is drving to Positano from Rome REALLY that scary?

I just got back from Positano last weekend. We drove from the airport in Rome FCO to Positano, with a stop at Pompeii on the way. It is an easy drive. The autostrade is well marked and is an easy drive. Once you get off that near Sorrento, the drive to Positano is really easy. Sure the road twist and turns a little bit, but it is a breeze to drive and not at all scary. As the driver, I was able to enjoy the view.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is drving to Positano from Rome REALLY that scary?

I've advised people not to drive the coast, but not because I think it's scary.

Yes, I think the driver will miss a lot of the beauty of the coast (indeed he should miss a lot of the beauty and keep his or her eyes on the road). But the main reason is the Amalfi Coast drive is the only artery stretching from Positano to Amalfi and inexperienced drivers are likely to hold up traffic during a very busy time of year and risk getting into fender benders along the way. When traffic is backed up in both directions, the process of letting a tour bus pass was delicate. Cars--sometimes as many as 10 at a time--would all have to back up and move as close to the far edge of the road as possible. Sideview mirrors are routinely folded in to prevent them from hitting vehicles going the opposite direction. It's that tight a squeeze.

So, no, I don't think it's likely you'll drive your car off a cliff, but yes I think you'll slow down traffic, frustrate Italian drivers and possibly scrape up your rental car.

Maple Glen, PA
Level Contributor
543 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is drving to Positano from Rome REALLY that scary?

we are parking our rental minivan in Sorrento and letting Positano Limo take us to the Villa Rosa where we are staying. Safer, not that expensive, don't have to worry about parking or driving.

Under Sorrento, look for safe parking in Sorrento for a list of parking garages. Good luck in your decision.

Anaheim, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is drving to Positano from Rome REALLY that scary?

My husband and I stayed in Amalfi for 3 days and he drove from Amalfi to Naples via the costal road. I have NEVER been car sick and never get seasick. I was very sick on this road! The roads are very narrow in some areas. There was one point that police directed at a hairpin turn thru a town. Long lines of cars were having to back up to allow double decker tour buses to make the turn. That being said, I have never seen anything so beautiful as the coast is here! Any inconveniences are well worth the scenery! Have fun!!