We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Rome to Positano

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Rome to Positano

With everyone's help at Trip Advisor I have managed to narrow down our trip to the Amalfi Coast to Positano - thanks to everyone, now just one more piece of advise please?

The best way to get from Rome to Positano and back? I don't really want to pay huge prices as we're spending the money on a nice Positano hotel.

We were thinking of driving, however, after reading all the reviews perhaps the train would be better - in which case how do we get to Positano? I think from Rome we get the train to Naples and then???????????

J30
Europe
Level Contributor
707 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Rome to Positano

The best way to get to Positano from Naples is by taxi. The price is about Euro 100 and it takes about one hour to get to Positano. Also from the station you can get the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento and then from Sorrento you can get a " SITA" bus to Positano.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Rome to Positano

I just got back last week from the same trip you are doing. I say rent a car. If go with the train. You have to catch a train from the airport to the termini station in Rome. Not a big deal, they run every 1/2 hour (7 after and 37 after each hour). Then you have to catch a train to Naples. So who knows how long you have to hang around the train station for that. Then you finally get to Naples and you are in a car. Talk about Planes, Trains and Automobiles!! We had a car and yes it was parked at our hotel in Positano most of the time. But we have the convenience of being able to jump in it and drive to Ravello or Amalfi. You can also go to other places if you want. It cost me about 220 euro for 6 days. Not much considering you have freedom, plus not that huge hassle of getting to Positano by train, car, bus...uggghhh!!!

Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Rome to Positano

We took the circumvensia from Naples to Sorrento and then the SITA bus to Positano. It is a rough ride. My husband and I were both sick by the time we arrived in Positano. We promised ourselves we would take one of the high speed boats from either Rome or Naples next time. So that would be my recommendation. The nice hotels send bellboys down to the boats to get your bags.

J30
Europe
Level Contributor
707 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Rome to Positano

Usually there is an hydrofoil from Naples to Positano, but for now the service is suspended. The hydrofioil stops in Sorrento and Amalfi.

salt lake city
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Rome to Positano

I just returned from Positano. Took the train from Rome to Naples and then hired a private car (not a taxi). Like you I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a transfer because I wanted to spend the money in Positano on hotels, restaurants, shopping, etc. But then decided to use the driver because it is not an easy place to get to. I used www.cuomonet.it - Renato Caumo - - he came very highly recommended by trip advisor, and I paid 70 euro each way. He met the train, and was on time, he speaks English and the car was comfortable. I would not recommend a car - the roads are steep, one way and full of traffic - and there is no place to park, and if you did find a place to park, it would cost a fortune because there is no space.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Rome to Positano

Thanks for the advice, once in positano we'd like to visit Pompeii, Sorrento and a few other places, if car hire good in Positano or is it mainly private drivers?

7. Re: Travel from Rome to Positano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2005, 00:46
Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Rome to Positano

If you need a driver then look no further than Salvatore Lucibello of DriveAmalfi at info@driveamalfi.com

Connecticut
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Rome to Positano

Just got back from Positano and did a day trip to Pompeii. Ask your hotel about the SITA bus and where to pick it up. Take the 7:10 or 8:55 AM bus from Positano to Sorrento (it's a windy ride along the coastline and if you have to stand the whole time you could get a little sick, but it only costs 3 Euro). Get off the bus before it gets to Sorrento (in Meta) and get onto the train (like an above ground subway that makes stops along the way). The bus will drop you off at the train station. Go only a few stops to the Pompeii Svaci stop and you are across the street from the entrance. One recommendation : get the audio guide or hire a guide who speaks understandable English! If you don't do either - you'll be walking around looking at things wondering that they are. They are no signs with descriptions like in the US.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Rome to Positano

I can't buy the tickets from Rome to Naples on line - does anyone know how much the Eurostar would be per person in August?