We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route for italian tour through Amalfi

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
211 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Best Route for italian tour through Amalfi

I am planning a honeymoon and i know we would like to spend 2-3 nights in positano, 2-3 nights in ravello, 3-5 in rome, 2 in florence, and 2-4 in venice.

Is that possible and what would be the best route to take? I would like to maximize my time in the amalfi coast area, but not sure if i should fly into Rome-Amalfi-florence-venice or some other route.

Thanks!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Route for italian tour through Amalfi

Hey,

We are doing the same thing and I've start laying the ground work.

The first thing I noticed is that I'm not sure you need to do 3 nights in positano then to ravello. You can base yourself in Positano and tour the entire coast from there.

Also, you guys are doing a lot of packing/unpacking and you'll lose days traveling from place to place.

This is what we're doing, maybe it'll help you. We're flying from NYC into Naples and then taking the ferry from the Naples dock to Positano. Staying 4/5 nights in Positano then renting a car in Sorrento and driving up to Tuscany and basing ourselves in Siena. Doing 5 nights there and touring wineries, Florence, etc. From Siena it's off to Rome. We'll dump the car along the way and train it into Rome for 3 nights and then fly home from there. Although the cost to fly into one airport and out of another costs a little more, you'd spend that money trying to get down to Positano anyway. We live in NYC so we want to start with the quite of the coast and end with the large city.

Personally, I think 3 cities is too much. You could fly to Naples... do the Coast, then train it to Rome, then to Venice and fly home from there.

I've done the two week bounce all over the place trip before (Paris, London, Edinburgh) and trust me I was shattered afterwards.

From what I'm hearing from friends who have just married... after the wedding all you want to do is sit and breath. I guess it really depends what type of travelers you are and what you want to do.

Keep in touch and we can trade stories, recommendations, etc.

Best,

Jon

P.S. we are going late April into May

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
211 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Route for italian tour through Amalfi

I really want to stay in Ravello at the Hotel Palazzo Sasso.

http://www.palazzosasso.com/

and at the Il San Pietro Positano.

Both are very expensive (as fas as i am concerned). We would probably be looking at around $1000 per night at each hotel.

For Rome and Venice we would probably be booking more location based such as the Spanish Steppes area in Rome and not really sure about Venice yet.

We are also looking at April/May except 2009.

I think you are right to possibly skip the tuscany area this trip, because i really dont want to waste huge amounts of time packing, traveling to train stations, etc.

Good luck with your trip and let me know what you think.

Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Route for italian tour through Amalfi

I would fly into Rome then train it down to Naples and onto Positano and Ravello before heading for Tuscany & Venice

4. Re: Best Route for italian tour through Amalfi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 17:21