We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Positano

Atlanta
1 post
Save Topic
Positano

I am traveling to italy with 3 others in May. We are flying into Rome at 7:55am, but want to spend our first days in Positano and take day trips to Isle of Capri, etc....

What is the best way to get from the Rome Da-Vinci airport to Positano? Keep in mind we will have luggage.

Any recommendations on where to stay? Somewhere clean with a great view, and at least 3 to 4 star.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Positano

In my opinion the "best" way is to take the train from FCO to Termini station and from their the train to Naples. If you make arrangements with someone like DriveAmalfi driveamalfi@hotmail.com they will have a driver meet you there. He will reply quickly with a quote.

The drive to Positano is about 75 minutes from Naples along the very crooked and narrow coast road. It's easy, comfortable, and the Mercedes minivan can hold you and your luggage comfortably. The cost will probably be about 110 Euros each way, but split 4 ways it's a great way to go. Quick, easy, comfortable. Remember to pack light, pack light, pack light.

Other options are

1. Train to Naples, bus to Positano.

2. Bus from Rome to Positano.

3. Train to Naples, Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento then bus to Positano.

4. Train to Naples then ferry to Positano.

Never stayed in Positano, we stay down the road in Praiano, but some hotels that are often recommended are:

http://www.italyby.com/edenroc/

http://www.hotelposeidonpositano.it/en/

http://www.hotelposeidonpositano.it/en/

italybound@verizon.net

italybound@verizon.net

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,919 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Positano

3 to 4 stars covers several cost factors. So will mention a few for you to check out.

1) Hotel Villa Franca

2) Hotel Poseidon

3) Le Sirenuse ( 5 **)

Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Positano

The Trenitalia Eurostar Alta Velocita takes just over 80 Minutes from Roma Termini to Napoli Centrale

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,822 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Positano

It costs quite a bit more but with luggage for 2 and tired after my all night trip, I took a private car service from FCO to Positano for about 400 euros. My husband came by train to Naples and got a car service to Positano for about 100 euros.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,178 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Positano

We are staying in Hotel Puppeto in Positano at about that time. Mostly from rave recommendations from this forum! Look for them, probably from last summer now, but sounded too good to miss.

Positano, Italy
Level Contributor
96 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Positano

Hi atdailey:

Once off the plane take the train to Roma Termini train stationA

The high speed train or Altavelocita from Rome Termini to Naples will arrive in 1hr.20minutes in Naples. My suggestion is to take a cab from the train station to the Beverllo Port (€20.) and the Metro Del Mare ferry to Positano. It costs €12.pp and amounts to a mini cruise along this spectacular coast for 1 1/2 hours.You will arrive relaxed and enchanted.

I would suggest the Poseidon for its charm and open spaces. Great reading rooms, open sun terrace with pool and the most romantic dining terrace in Positano. Food is A+.

Another suggestion would be the Marincanto and down the street the Hotel California. The latter where parts of "Under The Tuscan Sun" was filmed.

See Capri with an English speaking Guide who appreciates its beauty and will show it to you as well as the other marvels of this coast. Pompei, Ravello, Amalfi, private boat excursions. Look at Positano Adventure Walks for info.

7. Re: Positano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 14:31