We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Road Closure - The Lowdown

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Topic
The Road Closure - The Lowdown

Ciao TAers,

I have ripped the below from a post I did on May 11 with Lexie08 and veniceJ over in the Sorrento forum, as I can see the topic of the 1.4km stretch of road closure to place netting upon a mountain-side, between Praiano and Furore (effecting travel between Amalfi-Positano/Positano-Amalfi) may continue for some time as readers log into the forums.

Here are the full details of the road closure:

The road is closed between 5am until 5.30pm. That's right, 5am.

And it opens every fifteen minutes, every hour at the 45 minute mark of that hour. For example, 5.45am, 6.45am, 7.45am...

And the location of this 1.4km stretch of mountain-netting-and-fanging-about-scratching-foreheads-for-months-on-end-work is, as I've said earlier, on the Amalfi-side of Praiano, from Furore Fjord to the Marina di Praia, which is Praiano's little port.

Now, I will add this further:

How it is set to disrupt tourist traffic is not known as it is already proving a nightmare for locals and it is very low season.

However, for those heading from Sorrento to Positano via SITA bus, it should be all fine.

Those staying in Positano and Praiano and wanting to get to Amalfi or the towns of Furore and Conca dei Marini (the Emerald Grotto) with the final destination of Amalfi, using any form of road transport, will be severely effected.

Ferry from Positano's main dock to Amalfi will be the most effective method - Coop Sant'Andrea are the only ferry company doing this service (they run the Positano-Amalfi-Salerno return).

Those arriving to Amalfi from Salerno-Vietri-Cetara-Maiori-Minori-Ravello or Atrani via SITA bus will not be effected.

Those staying in Amalfi wanting to get to Praiano and Positano, by any road transport method, will be severely affected. Ferry is the best option.

The road is actually completely closed at the moment and is expecting to be so for another two weeks. Coop Sant'Andrea are currently ferrying locals and tourists to and from Positano/Amalfi.

I suggest you all get exact arrival details from your accomms ASAP and really ask them the specifics of How To Arrive.

I will update this all of course if the road block lifts for good in the meantime, but with a stated finish date of early August (they began in January, go figure), I highly doubt it will change. But this is the south and as I have said a few times before, things can change in the blink of an eye down here.

Coop Sant'Andrea will be running their full ferry schedule by Easter and I will post this when it comes to hand.

Ciao, Amalfigirl.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Road Closure - The Lowdown

Thanks for the info, sounds a bit of a nightmare! Maybe 2009 isn't the best year to visit... we did hope to do the drive at least once just for the experience, but happy to use boats otherwise.

Look forward to more news...

Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: The Road Closure - The Lowdown

They hope to have most of the important work done by March 28 so delays after that date should be minimal

Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: The Road Closure - The Lowdown

The work involves removing loose rocks that have become unstable over the winter due to the weather and fitting safety wire mesh to parts of the cliffside

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
211 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Road Closure - The Lowdown

I will arriving in Naples and taking the Amalfi Drive (exiting at Castellamare di Stabia and going through Sorrento, Positano, Praiano, Conca, Amalfi Atrani and then up to Ravello).

Is my transfer in trouble? I was hoping for a scenic transfer....

dublin
Level Contributor
154 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Road Closure - The Lowdown

We are travelling between Positano and Ravello on 24th June on our wedding day-do you have any idea if this is going to affect us?

Thanks in advance.

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Road Closure - The Lowdown

alwaysevol000, I would ask your private driver how they plan to get through to Amalfi and Ravello from Positano by going up through Castellammare, Sorrento and into Positano and then down through Conca as there is only one road, the scenic one you mention and this is where the road block is: a 1.4km stretch between Praiano and Furore (and then after these towns are the ones you mentioned - Conca, Amalfi and Ravello etc etc). (There is more discussion over at the Amalfi forum too with same subject heading).

I posted this a few days ago also to StrictlyBetty who is vaguely in the same position as you (but she is in a private car coming from Napoli) and may help you map out a plan.

There are three ways into Amalfi from the centre of Naples (which also avoid the road blockage).

1. The autostrada straight down to Salerno on the Reg-Calabria autostrada. Just before you get to Salerno, take the Vietri Sul Mare exit and it should say Amalfi Coast on the sign too. This puts you on the main coast road to Amalfi, travelling through Vietri, Cetara, Minori, Maiori, Marmorata (Ravello), Atrani and then into Amalfi.

2. The autostrada straight down the Reg-Calabria and take the Tramonti-Maoiri turn off to the right and you go up and over the mountain behind Maiori and spit out at Ravello and then wind down onto the main Amalfi Coast road at Marmorata where you turn right into Atrani and then Amalfi.

3. Take the autostrada and get off at Castellammare and from there take the signs to Agerola and go up and up through the mountain to Agerola and follow the road all the way down through Furore, Conca dei Marini, Vettica di Amalfi and to Lone di Amalfi where you come to a split in the road and take it left and you are on the main Amalfi Coast road into Amalfi which is about a five minute drive from this fork.

And Kerrl in dublin it is way too hard to predict what is in store for you - as I said this project is said to be finished August 8, but as it has been closed for the past two weeks already I am hoping that will be bought back to June because they've been able to get the job done as the residents are pretty angry about it and the council's misinformation to residents.

Ciao, Amalfigirl.

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Road Closure - The Lowdown

Sorry alwaysevol000, I see you are coming from Napoli. Then the three options for you posted above are, well... the only options I am afraid. But, speak to your driver.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
211 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Road Closure - The Lowdown

Thanks for the response. I wonder if my driver is trying to "take me for a ride"?

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
431 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Road Closure - The Lowdown

That blockage gave us one of the most memorable events of our trip last month.

On March 3, we took SITA bus from Sorrento to Amalfi. Suddenly, the bus stopped in the middle of the road and the driver said, "Everyone out. Walk." We knew that a passenger who appeared to be local was also headed to Amalfi, so we did what he did. We followed him around obstacles & work areas and through a tunnel. Past the tunnel, there was another SITA bus waiting to take us to Amalfi, and the driver counted to make sure he had everyone who had been let off the other bus. Although we were carrying our luggage, it was just backpacks and we were fine--just took it in stride.

The next day, after walking the Path of the Gods to Positano, we went to buy tickets back to Amalfi. The agent told us the road was blocked. We said "no problem" and bought the tickets anyway.

Sure enough, the bus stopped at the same place and we were ushered off the bus. We started walking with confidence the same way we had walked the day before. However, when we got to the other side of the tunnel, NO BUS. We had no choice but to keep walking, and it was getting dark and starting to rain. The only good part was that least there were no buses to sweep us into the ocean, though there was other traffic to scare the bejabers out of us. After more than an hour of walking, a bus finally came along that we could catch into Amalfi.

Shucks. If that hadn't happened, we wouldn't have the story to tell, though it was uncomfortable at the time.

dublin
Level Contributor
154 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Road Closure - The Lowdown

Thanks Amalfigirl, i'll just have to keep an eye on your up-dates! I'm trying not to stress about it and think MsNomer has the right idea!! These things make trips memorable i guess!! I'm sure my wedding guests wouldn't forget my wedding in a hurry if they end up having to WALK the Amalfi drive!! Or perhaps we could just wait until a little later to travel:)

I'm sure it's not much fun for those that have to travel the road day in and day out!!!!