We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

animals in the ocean??

San Diego...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
animals in the ocean??

sorry for the stupid question... but are there sea animals in the ocean (in october) around the amalfi coast? i have grown up in california where there can be sharks, jellyfish, stingrays. silly i know, but just wondering... :)

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,254 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: animals in the ocean??

As Jacque Cousteau once said, "If you have been in the sea, a shark has watched you swim." Jump in and enjoy! We're normally not food for them

J30
Europe
Level Contributor
707 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: animals in the ocean??

Dear Tapir1,

maybe you could see jellyfishes but for shure not sharks!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: animals in the ocean??

Good thing its the Sea not the ocean. But a baby sardine did bite me on the arse. Then I had some for dinner.

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: animals in the ocean??

Hey tapir1, fair question but I don't believe there is anything too bad in the water and locals heartily laughed when I mentioned the word `sharks' to them in August. Coming from Australia, we too have our nasty sea creatures like you so it was absolutely fantastic and exhilerating to dive off a boat into the blue water of Capri knowing a white pointer wasn't waiting with jaws wide open - bliss! And if there were stingrays, they're harmless, sense feet vibrations and don't hang around long enough to sting you and jellyfish - again if there are any in Italian waters - are certainly not deadly like Oz's box-jelly or irukandji jellyfish so that has to be comforting news, doesn't it??! Guess you won't be visiting Australia soon then, eh? Ha ha - Enjoy the amalfi coast.

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: animals in the ocean??

And Italianguy33? Australia has had several recent shark attacks causing death in about three metres of water in a protected bay/inlet in crystal clear, flat, calm, see-the-bottom water. Not all sharks stick to the ocean you know!!

italy
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: animals in the ocean??

well, besides the water quality of the amalfi coast ....you could meet up with a jelly fish in beinning autum.

I cant understand why nobody mentions that .... and the water quality ... It happend on a boat trip from Salerno to Capri in 2005 that you could clearly reckon sewage in the sea ...

Newspaper had a big headline !

Enjoy bathing there tapir1

New Jersey
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: animals in the ocean??

Do not got to Sicily, I heard the Tuna can be very dangerous. I am talking about the ones not in tins.