We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi Private Tour or Do our own tour?

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando
Level Contributor
147 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Amalfi Private Tour or Do our own tour?

Hi...

My wife and I will be in Positano for 3 days and nights October 1-3 (only partial day on the 1st as we're taking the train from Florence to Naples and then a private limo to Positano that day). We are staying at La Rosa Dei Venti which I have heard is a great B&B. I have scheduled a private all day tour of the Amalfi coast on the 2nd which will take us to Pompei, Ravello and other parts of the coast. It sounds like a great tour, but it's rather expensive (for us) at 300 euro plus tip. Would we be able to do the same type of trip on our own on the bus system? I don't mind paying for the tour, but if we could have the same quality time on our own, that would be an option I would be interested. We definitely want to see Pompei and Ravello and would like to see Amalfi as well. On day three we are going to take a ferry or scenic boat and spend the day in Capri.

Would love to hear your advice and any other suggestions would be appreciated. Also if anyone has stayed at our B&B, would love to hear about your stay.

Thanks,

Larry

Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Amalfi Private Tour or Do our own tour?

Going to Pompeii AND Ravello from Positano in the same day is going to be difficult any way you slice it. You will probably only scratch the surface of Pompeii before hopping back in the car to head towards Ravello - which will probably take a few hours from Pompeii - minimum.

However, whatever you decide to do, you can certainly do it yourself using buses, ferries and trains.

To Pompeii from Positano: take the Sita bus to Sorrento and hop on the circumvesuviana regional train and get off at Pompeii Scavi. This literally drops you at the door of Pompeii.

To Ravello from Positano: take the Sita bus to Amalfi where you will need to change buses and hop on the Ravello bus. You could also ferry from Positano to Amalfi. This would be MUCH faster.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,539 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amalfi Private Tour or Do our own tour?

Looking at a map, Pompeii and Ravello may not look that far apart, but they will take you quite a bit of traveling time. And they are in opposite directions! If you do the limo tour, you are going to be eating into your time at both places.

Ravello and the Amalfi Coast deserve a day to themselves. From Positano, you can take the SITA bus, which is only 18 euros for a three day pass, or 7.20 for a day pass. From Positano you get on the bus and enjoy jaw dropping views of the beautiful Amalfi Coast. I suppose you could take a fancy car, but will you really notice it when you've got one of the most stunning coastlines in the world unfolding before your eyes?

Pompeii is accessible from Positano by taking the SITA bus to Sorrento, (50 minutes) and taking the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii Scavi. (30 minutes) When you get off the train, you will literally be right there. Remember, Pompeii was once a city, and it is as big as a city. It will take you a minimum of half a day to see the highlights, and I think if you want to see less than that, you may want to reconsider going.

I don't know enough about your schedule, but if you can get there early enough, perhaps you could go to Pompeii on the way to Positano, as you have a driver? Then the following day you could focus on the Amalfi Coast, and the third day, Capri. That might make more sense.

Orlando
Level Contributor
147 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amalfi Private Tour or Do our own tour?

I was having similar thoughts. We arrive at the Naples train station around 12:30 pm. Would that be enough time for the dirver to take us to Pompeii and then to our Hotel in Positano?

Thanks,

Larry

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,762 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Amalfi Private Tour or Do our own tour?

You have time to do that the first day - but are you going to have to pay for the driver for the many hours you will be staying at Pompei? You could have a driver drop you off there - there is a place to check your luggage there while you visit Pompei; then have a car service arranged to pick you up at say 4 or 4:30 and take you to Positano. I would suggest pricing that out - it could be cheaper than having the car waiting for you before taking you to Positano from Pompei.

You don't need a driver to take you around the coast as noted above - all doable via ferry to Amalfi, then bus up to Ravello.

Then boat to Capri from Positano the next day.

Orlando
Level Contributor
147 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amalfi Private Tour or Do our own tour?

Thanks...sounds like a good plan. It looks like we could catch an earlier train that would get us in to Naples at around 11am and that will give us more time.

Thanks,

Larry

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,539 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amalfi Private Tour or Do our own tour?

Enjoy Pompeii...and bring water. Even in October.

Chicago
Level Contributor
111 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amalfi Private Tour or Do our own tour?

We hired a driver to take us on a tour of the Amalfi coast and loved it. The next day we took a boat from Sorrento to Positano. The idea of a driver was helpful and gave my husband the opportunity to take as many pictures as he wanted without the stress of driving ourselves

Orlando
Level Contributor
147 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amalfi Private Tour or Do our own tour?

It's only 35 euro more for the driver to drop us a Pompeii and then take us to our hotel. So that works our real well. It also sounds like taking buses and ferries to see the Amalfi Coast will work out as well as having a private driver, so thanks for all your suggestions!

Larry

North Woodmere, New...
Level Contributor
195 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amalfi Private Tour or Do our own tour?

Larry, my husband and I will also be taking the train from Florence to Naples on Oct. 1st. and staying in Positano probably for 4 nights....but you are a few steps ahead of us in your reservations. I think I'm going to follow some of the advice you have received on trips in th AC and seeing Pompei that they have given you. I was also planning on taking a private limo from Naples to our hotel in Positano. Have a great trip.

Orlando
Level Contributor
147 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amalfi Private Tour or Do our own tour?

Surahhp...I send you a message through tripadvisor. Please let me know if you received it.

Thanks,

Larry