We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in positano Nocelle

NewYork City
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
where to stay in positano Nocelle

We want to use Positano as a base for 8 days to see all the other small towns on the coast. We want a quiet place with a kitchen.I have read many reviews of accomodations for Positano and many of them rave about places to stay that are in Nocelle saying it is a little town above Positano. The views look great but I am concerned about the distances to walk each day if we want to take the bus or the ferry to other towns around the coast. We are in good shape but don't want to have to travel a lot to get to our daily desinations as a base for 8 days. We are posible looking at staying at Rifugio deglidei or la rosa dei venti or Alcione residence Positano or Villa degli dei. Is it worth datying higher up because of the views or should we stay closer to the town of positano. Thank you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,519 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in positano Nocelle

Only you can know which location will suit you. Some people like staying high above in the cliffs; others, like me, prefer staying closer to the sea. I like to pop out of where I'm staying and be at the water in less than five minutes (if possible) - I would never stay up in that area, but it is beautiful and I love visiting when I'm staying in Positano but it's the same reason I love Ravello but won't stay there.

I'm not sure how anyone here can advise you based on their own preferences.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay in positano Nocelle

Nocelle is really high up. You might want to walk down, but I doubt that you'd want to walk up.

There is local bus service from Positano to Nocelle:

http://www.flaviogioia.com/dettaglio.php?sez=Orario+Positano+-+Montepertuso+-+Nocelle&n=<STRONG>Valido+dal+28+marzo+al+15+giugno</STRONG>+<BR>clicca+sulle+frecce+per+visualizzare+la+tabella&iddettaglio=42&id_sezione=8&id_categoria=16&p=dx

sydney
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay in positano Nocelle

MomCat1992,

I am travelling to Italy in September and would like to stay in Positano for 4 nights. I am not really keen on thousands of steps and am thinking that staying down near the water and not up high would be best for me.

( Before eveyone jumps on me I know there are lots of steps everywhere but can not imagine that everyone that visits can run a marathon and climb a million steps.)

Is there a hotel that you recommend that would suit me as I am 55 with somewhat bad knees. We are going with another couple who are also keen on Positano and I don't want to ruin everyones stay complaining about steps.

Thank you for your advice in advanced.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,519 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay in positano Nocelle

What budget range do you have for a hotel? There is a wonderful hotel, Covo dei Saraceni down near the water but it is on the pricier side. I no longer recommend a place I stayed at frequently as the last time I was there, the rooms were just not being taken care of as well as they had in the past - so, I'm off them.

I have been to the Covo and it is really a beautiful hotel with a nice pool and a very good restaurant.

I'm going in late March and this time staying a bit higher up at Villa Gabrisa which is more suited to my budget for this upcoming three week trip - I can't splurge on Covo for this trip as it is a longer trip and I have to stretch out my funds for a longer period of time.

I haven't stayed at Villa Gabrisa before but I've looked at a lot of the reviews and have chosen one of the deluxe rooms which look lovely and I think it will be good for me now as I have had some bad back problems and you can enter right from the main internal road rather than have to walk up and down steps to get in and out of the hotel. I've specifically booked the room with the blue bathroom that you can see on the site. Looks nice for 7 days. See if location, budget and rooms look appealing to you:

www.villagabrisa.it/welcome_uk/suites.htm - For the time period I am going, the rate is 195 euros/night but it does go up as you get into the high season. It has good reviews here on TA.

Also - you can search on Venere.com where you can sort by budget and type of room you would like and then come in here to read reviews of places that look of interest to you.

sydney
Level Contributor
94 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay in positano Nocelle

Thank you MomCat1992 for taking the time to reply.

The Villa Gabrisa looks perfect. It gets really good reviews as well. As we are going to Europe for 5 weeks (never been before) we are looking for nice places to stay but within a budget. (some places seem very expensive for what you get especially in Rome).

I like the fact that this place has street access and it looks like it has great views. The other hotel you mentioned looks fantastic but unfortunally as we are going in September was out of our price range. I know September is a long way off but I carn't beleive all the research needed to find the right place to stay. Hopefully it all pays off in the end.

Once again thank you for your help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,519 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay in positano Nocelle

Yes, the street access is very appealing. I wish it were just a bit closer down but it's a pretty easy to walk down the internal road to the sea - there is also an internal bus that does the loop through the village which makes it easy to get where you want to go in Positano.

In Rome, I stay at Hotel Campo d'Fiori in Campo d'Fiori (obviously) - a beautiful little boutique hotel that has a large roof deck with spectacular views of Rome. You might want to consider it:

This link to the hotel opens up on the photo of the roof deck and the view. The classic double rooms are on the smallish side but stylish and comfy; the superior (or deluxe) rooms are bigger - not huge but still a nice size:

www.hotelcampodefiori.com/inglese/hotel.htm

September is high season in Italy and I really noticed in planning this Spring's trip that the prices have gone up quite a lot everywhere I'm looking. The Rome hotel prices have gone up since I went in April and the prices in Positano have also gone up....sigh.

Planning is a lot of fun so enjoy that part of it!

7. Re: where to stay in positano Nocelle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2011, 06:18