We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay: 'Villa Mary' or 'La Fenice'

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami
Level Contributor
70 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay: 'Villa Mary' or 'La Fenice'

HI!

I'm booking the hotels for my last leg of our trrip, which will hopefully be 4 superb days in Positano.

We want something, clean, with an Italian carm with awesome views. I've narrowed it down to "Villa Mary" and "La Fenice" but cant decided between the two. Has anyone ever stayed in either or just have any general advice.

THANKS GUYS!

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay: 'Villa Mary' or 'La Fenice'

Hi - We are heading to Positano for our honeymoon in July this year, so excited!!

We also can't decide between Villa Mary or La Fenice, both look amazing. Did you end up staying at either? have any advice, recommendations for the area?

Thank you so much

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay: 'Villa Mary' or 'La Fenice'

Personally, I love La Fenice. However, just be aware that there are many, many stairs between the road down to the rooms and from the room , up to the street and then across the street and up to the breakfast area.

Additionally, it is a bit out of the main town area of Positano, so more walking and stairs are involved if you want to head down into Positano. We did not mind this and enjoyed the walks (And the stairs - wheeze, huff, puff...) even at night after dinner down in the town. There was also beach access, but again, many stairs going up and down the steep mountain side.

The owner was helpful with the bus schedules and overall advise. The views were breathtaking. But if you are not up for a bit of strenuous exercise, then this might not be the place for you.

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay: 'Villa Mary' or 'La Fenice'

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

We are more than happy to walk (to work off lots of eating and wine) and both Vila Mary and La Fenice sound like wonderful family run establishments with amazing service.

I guess both venues are quite a hike. We just can't decide if the pool and private beach of La Fenice out weighs the beautiful rooms, balcony and restaurant of Villa Mary (high on the hill).

Either way it looks as though Positano is beautiful and you can't really go wrong regardless of where you stay.

Thank you again.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay: 'Villa Mary' or 'La Fenice'

Yes, unfortunately La Fenice does not have a restaurant other than the breakfast room and terrace. Though we found so many lovely restaurants in town and on the beach it was not necessary. With our room at La Fenice (and I think most rooms), we had a lovely terrace/balcony. The views were spectacular. We would buy a bottle of wine in town and sit out in the evenings before dinner and watch the view and sun set. Just lovely. The pool and beach option might be nice since you will be there in July and it does tend to be very hot there at that time.

Miami
Level Contributor
70 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay: 'Villa Mary' or 'La Fenice'

I absolutly LOVED Villa Mary. It was reallky an amazing stay! I cant say enough good things about it. I was super aprehensive at first, and it was really the best part of our whole trip. We had the biggest room almost 3 weeks of moving around, and it was so peaceful and relaxing. If you stay at villa mary you definitly will not regret it.

Miami
Level Contributor
70 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay: 'Villa Mary' or 'La Fenice'

* We didnt find Villa Mary to be out of the way really. I had never been to the Almalfi, so I didnt really know how to picture it when they said high on the hill. The walk down was nothing, and to be honest - the walk up was much neede after all the eating we did in Italy. But when we didnt want to walk the stairs and little alley was back up to the room - we took the bus, which was always quick. I never felt like we were waiting around.

7. Re: Where to stay: 'Villa Mary' or 'La Fenice'

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 15:15