We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

naples to positano - public transit, ferry or car service

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southern California
Level Contributor
30 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
naples to positano - public transit, ferry or car service

Plan to travel from Naples to Positano this spring on a Sunday. Will be carrying luggage. We are "older" but still get around OK. Don't want to spend a fortune, but will pay a little extra if makes a big difference. Think I've done a lot of research, but can't make a decision. Any opinions on how to get from Naples to Positano, i.e.,

1. take Circumvesuviana local train to Sorrento and then Sita bus to Positano (can you get luggage on bus?) OR

2.is it convenient to take a ferry either from Naples or Sorrento to Positano (what about luggage there?) OR

3. take a car service either from Naples or Sorrento (which seems very expensive), OR

4. any other options?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,541 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: naples to positano - public transit, ferry or car service

Here are answers to your questions:

1. This is the year-round option with HALF-HOURLY frequency from Naples to Sorrento and HOURLY frequency from Sorrento to Positano. You place luggage on the floor of the Circumvesuviana train next to you. On the SITA bus, you can place large luggage in the underfloor compartment. This is also the cheapest option by far: 3.40 plus 3.60 Euros.

2. Metro del Mare has run hydrofoils from Naples (Beverello and Mergellina docks) to Positano from the spring through the early autumn for a number of years. Schedules for 2011 have not yet been posted. It's not certain whether this option will be available during your travel dates. Luggage can certainly be taken on the hydrofoil. The one-way fare last year was 14 Euros. Service is limited compared to the train/bus option.

3. A private car service is without question the most comfortable, convenient and fastest option. Door to door service. Expect to pay between 90 and 110 Euros each way. If you decide to travel to Sorrento by train or hydrofoil, I don't see a compelling reason to continue on to Positano by private transfer, unless your hotel in Positano is very inconveniently located relative to the bus stop. A private transfer from Sorrento to Positano is also not cheap: expect 60 Euros.

4. ???

HINT: Consider purchasing the 3-day UNICO CAMPANIA TOURIST TICKET for 20 Euros per person. You'll get free transportation by bus and train throughout the Campania Region, including the Circumvesuviana trains, SITA buses, Naples/Sorrento/Salerno city buses, Naples underground and funiculars, buses on Ischia and Procida (but NOT on Capri), ALIBUS from Naples to NAP airport, and more.

Boat service costs extra. It's NOT included in this ticket.

If you're ALSO visiting museums, look up the various ticket options offered by the CampaniaArtecard. The 3-day "tutta la regione" pass also includes free transportation.

www.sitabus.it

www.vesuviana.it

www.metrodelmare.net

www.unicocampania.it

www.artecard.it

Edited: 07 March 2011, 01:16
GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,541 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: naples to positano - public transit, ferry or car service

Here is yet another, unconventional, way to get from Naples to Positano, useful if you're planning a daytrip to Capri:

1. Ferry or hydrofoil from Naples to Capri.

2. Store luggage at Capri Port (Marina Grande).

3. Capri to Positano by Alicost ferry or hydrofoil in the afternoon.

www.alicost.com (service NOT year-round). Consult schedules once posted online.

http://www.capri.net/en/ferry-schedule (note: confirm boat schedules on the operator's website.)

Southern California
Level Contributor
30 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: naples to positano - public transit, ferry or car service

GAC - you are so kind to reply so promptly!! Thank you for all this information.

PortStLucieFlorida
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: naples to positano - public transit, ferry or car service

At age 73 a widow traveling alone I took the ferry from Positano to Naples in July 2008. It is by far the most beautiful way to travel I think. I left the day before my departure to the states so I would still make it if any problems came up. For example, if no ferry to Naples then how about one to Salerno and then high speed train to Rome. I took ferry to Naples/ bus to train station and high speed train to Rome.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,541 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: naples to positano - public transit, ferry or car service

The suggestion about taking a ferry from Positano to Salerno, then the train north to Naples, Rome or wherever, is an excellent one. Whereas the Metro del Mare services between the Amalfi Coast and Naples might not commence in early Spring this year (we don't know as yet), the Cooperativa Sant'Andrea should have small ferry boats in service towards the beginning of April going to Amalfi and Salerno, where it's a mere 400 meters to the train station. Travellers needing to travel to either Naples or further north can indeed look into the possibility of connecting to the train in Salerno after taking the very scenic ferry boat from Positano. Bear in mind that the regularity of boat services is usually a little more predictable in late April than at the beginning of that month, but it's always a very good practice to inquire locally the morning of departure to verify the timeliness of services, because the boats are known to be cancelled due to inclement weather. When that happens, you can always take the SITA bus to Sorrento (connections to the Circumvesuviana commuter rail to Naples), or to Amalfi (connections to another SITA bus to Salerno).

The same advice also applies in the opposite direction: from Rome or Naples to Positano via Salerno. It's yet another option.

www.metrodelmare.net

www.coopsantandrea.it

www.sitabus.it

www.vesuviana.it

www.ferroviedellostato.it

berlin
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: naples to positano - public transit, ferry or car service

Hi there,

Any idea how long does it take with train and then bus from Neaple to Positano? I´ll be going there in summer, and my flight arrive in Neaple at 20:50. Do the train and bus still operate at that time of night?

Thank you.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,541 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: naples to positano - public transit, ferry or car service

That's a late arrival into NAP airport, but there are a few possibilities during the summer (June 15th through about September 15):

OPTION A: Private Transfer (90+ minutes and about 100-110 Euros)

OPTION B: Public Transportation:

1. Take the Alibus from NAP Airport to Piazza Garibaldi (Napoli Centrale train station): 25 minutes; 3 Euros

NOTE: IF pressed for time, take a taxi to Napoli Centrale train station (approx. 20 Euros)

2. Take the Circumvesuviana commuter train from Napoli Centrale (underground) to Sorrento (65 minutes; 3.40 Euros), departures currently at 21:41 and 22:11 (verify schedules close to your departure date)

3. Take the SITA bus to Positano at 23:00 (daily except Sunday) or at 24:00 (daily) (50 minutes; 3.60 Euros). (verify schedules close to your departure date)

NOTE: OUTSIDE of the June 15/Sept 15 period, the LAST Positano-bound bus from Sorrento departs at 22:00 or even 20:00 during the winter months.

Be aware of the LAST departures of both the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento and of the SITA bus in Sorrento. That means having to use a private transfer to Positano from either NAP airport or from Sorrento.

Price Comparison (NAP airport to Positano): 100-110 Euros by private transfer; 10 Euros by public transportation.

www.vesuviana.it

www.sitabus.it

Oxford, MS
Level Contributor
463 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: naples to positano - public transit, ferry or car service

We're arriving by train in Naples to stay in Sorrento as our base. Can this 3-day UNICO CAMPANIA TOURIST TICKET go to Pompeii from Sorrento and Vesuvius? If so, how long does it take to get to Pompeii from Sorrento and how long is the bus ride to Vesuvius from Pompeii or can we go to Vesuvius from Sorrento on this bus? Can we purchase this ticket at the Naples train station when we arrive? How long does it take to get to the bus stop from the train station and then how long of a ride to Sorrento? Do any of these buses have a scenic ride along the Amalfi Coast? I've been on the site, but I can't figure it out cause it keeps switching back to Italian and I don't know Italian. Thank you!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,541 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: naples to positano - public transit, ferry or car service

www.unicocampania.it/index.php…

The UNICO CAMPANIA 3T tourist ticket (20 Euros) is valid for 3 consecutive days travel on each of the Circumvesuviana commuter rail (Naples/Pompei/Sorrento), all SITA buses in the Campania Region (including those along the Amalfi Coast), the buses to Mt. Vesuvius, and much, much more.

Sorrento to Pompei by Circumvesuviana rail is approx. 30 minutes. Sorrento to Naples is approx. 65 minutes. Pompei to Naples is approx. 35 minutes. You can indeed purchase the UNICO CAMPANIA 3T tourist ticket at the Naples central train station.

All your other questions should be answered in the English-language pages hyperlinked above.

NOTE that if you plan on visiting Pompei, you're better off purchasing the CAMPANIA ARTECARD 3-day "tutta la regione" for 27 Euros, INSTEAD OF the UNICO CAMPANIA 3T tourist ticket, because this particular ARTECARD (the one for 3 days, NOT the one for 7 days) gives you all the free transportation of the UNICO CAMPANIA 3 T tourist ticket, PLUS free entrance to two museums or archeological sites, PLUS a 50% reduction on the third and subsequent museum/site.

www.artecard.it

http://www.artecard.it/#

Oxford, MS
Level Contributor
463 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: naples to positano - public transit, ferry or car service

Thank you GAC ! I'll check it out.