We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from Naples port to Positano?

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi from Naples port to Positano?

Can you tell me approximately how much a taxi would cost from Naples to Positano? Also, what is the approximate cost if we hire him for 8 hours (take us there and back)? Last, are the many taxis in Positano that if we took a taxi "one way" we wouldn't get stuck?

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,912 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from Naples port to Positano?

The car service company I use charges 95 euros from Naples to Positano. You can check with them re: the price of the 8 hours. They respond quickly to emails. If you only want them to drop you off and wait for you to take you back, you should just book a second car for the return trip and again pay 95 euros vs what you would pay to have them sitting around for 8 hours.

Guemar Travel - info@guemartravel.com - see what they say.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Guemar Travel
Guemar Travel
627 Reviews
Sorrento, Italy
Positano
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from Naples port to Positano?

You could also try asking Lucio at www.limocarservice.net. I know he puts together great shore excursions from the ports that can cater for exactly what you want to see and do in your time on land.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from Naples port to Positano?

For the rates and other details that apply to the proper licenced taxis in Naples, see...

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187785-s304/Naples…

The set fare to Positano of €120 is usually undercut by the less-regulated private operators, although the saving may vary - depending on how busy they are, etc!

Not something we'd do, so I hadn't registered it before today, but the last but one line of the official rate card offers this...

"Tour Costiera... (Positano/Ravello/Amalfi/Sorrento) round trip no time limit - same day return €220"

But should you consider getting a separate taxi back, do bear in mind that in most of the small resorts the rates are set locally - so the fare on the return to Naples may not be the same as it cost you to get there!

I've never found those set by Positano's Comune, however they've lists of Taxis and Car Service firms here...

www.comune.positano.sa.it/dettaglio.php…

An alternative - though perhaps a busman's holiday if cruising - might be to cross back from Sorrento to Naples by hydrofoil, as they dock very near to the cruise terminal...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132449571

Not a particularly frequent service - some five times a day - however the timetables (one to mid-June, the next from then through to mid-September) and other details can be seen here...

www.alilauro.it/index.php?lingua=english

Peter

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Naples
Naples
Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from Naples port to Positano?

I've been considering various options for our one day visit to the port of Naples by cruise ship. My other plans for Naples don't involve any driving along the Amalfi coast. However, yesterday, a friend came home from her trip raving about Positano.

We've already been to Sorrento and Pompeii. So now I am thinking about hiring a car/driver to take us from Naples port to Positano.

But my concern is about how much traffic we will encounter. I don't want to spend my one day in port stuck in traffic for a frustrating amount of time.

Can anyone give me an idea about what type of traffic to expect driving from Naples port to Positano on a FRIDAY morning in JUNE and returning that afternoon? About how long would this trip take with traffic?

If crowded roads are going to be a major headache, I'll just go back to my original plans that don't involve driving along the coastal road.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Pompeii
Pompeii
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,912 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi from Naples port to Positano?

Peter:

If a car service company is licensed (which the one I use is) - in what way are they less regulated than the taxis? Is it to do mostly with being able to set their fares as they so choose or, more importantly, does it have to do with level of liability insurance coverage? Are the official taxis required to carry a higher level of insurance coverage?

It is a significant difference between paying 95 euros vs 120 euros for the same trip so I'm curious what those regs are that you mention.

Thanks much.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi from Naples port to Positano?

MC, I trust you know me well enough not take this as a slight on your integrity, nor on that of the firm concerned - but only as a reflection of necessary business practice...

When a known, reliable, generous and grateful customer makes a repeat booking, at a relatively quiet time of year - and perhaps sufficiently far in advance that the firm can anticipate scheduling a fare for the other leg of the journey - then the price offered may well be 95 Euro.... with them hoping the vehicle will earn 190 Euro on the outing.

All well and good for everybody concerned - however, as I've posted previously, that isn't necessarily the whole story...

And when this first-time punter enquired today for the price in a couple of days' time - to meet the last plane to arrive on the Saturday night of what will be a very busy weekend - unsurprisingly I wasn't offered 95 Euro, but instead a price the same as the taxi fare. [And, like a taxi - which can't pick up fares while out of its registered Comune - they presumably saw little chance of their car not being empty one way, TO the airport in this case!]

Not an excessive figure - and certainly less worry than having to trust that in the taxi rank there will be a driver willing to do that trip at such a late time....

Indeed, knowing that someone who speaks English will be waiting at Arrivals (regardless of flight delays), who will help with carrying the luggage to a much nicer vehicle, and then drive to the Positano hotel without needing to rely on their GPS, all for a pre-agreed amount of money with no hassles.... priceless, as those adverts say?

And if the speed {Ed: clarity} and politeness of the firm's response is at all typical of other aspects of their service, then I can well understand your continued advocacy of their offering.... but not every client's overall experience is going to be quite the same as yours.

As a last word though, it's worth remembering that at any time of day or night it should be possible to just hail a cab, and have a properly qualified driver go to Positano for that 120 Euro fare - without no needing to wait while someone drives over from there... a convenience that doesn't come without some cost, particularly when Fixed Rate systems are in force.

Peter

PS - If you do want to see the difference in the regulations, for Naples try here..

…napoli.it/flex/…9228

...and here...

…napoli.it/flex/…3D320

... or, for Rome, here...

www.comune.roma.it/wps/portal/pcr…

It's tedious stuff... although, unlike in London, drivers here don't have to keep a bale of hay in the boot, lest the source of motive power needs a snack! Or perhaps that's been repealed now?

Edited: 27 April 2011, 11:09
Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Naples
Naples
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
London
London
England, UK
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,912 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi from Naples port to Positano?

Peter: I took nothing personal in your comment. I was only curious about the differing regulations and whether, in particular, there was a difference in mandatory insurance coverage.

I recommend the company I use because it is the one I use so I, obviously, can't recommend any other and I never say anything negative about the other companies. Prices have been consistent for me and other people I know who have used them but I know that it can certainly be a different experience for others at some point. I can only speak for myself.

I don't tend to recommend services, hotels, etc unless I have a personal experience with them. I will, on occasion, comment that I have "good things" about a certain entity and suggest that reviews of that entity would be a good source for feedback on it/them.

Again - insurance coverage to me is an important question and that is what I was wondering about specifically - do the regs vary on this issue with respect to private car services vs the official taxis....

Edited: 27 April 2011, 13:13
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,912 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi from Naples port to Positano?

Oops...I meant to say "...I have HEARD good things about..."

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi from Naples port to Positano?

Didn't think suggesting that you looked for yourself was going to work!

Buried away in a PDF hidden in a zip file, the Naples rules for taximen and those who operate 'vehicles for hire with driver' seem to contain just two references to insurance... which, within the limits of a rough mid-afternoon translation, say:

Il concessionario del taxi di scorta decade dalla licenza al verificarsi di una delle seguenti condizioni:

....b) mancato pagamento della tassa di proprietà o dell’assicurazione dell’autovettura destinata a taxi di scorta;

The licenceholder will lose their licence if one of the following are proven:

... b) the failure to pay for (.....) or the insurance of the vehicle being used.

3 – L’esercizio della professione di tassista o noleggiatore è consentito ai cittadini italiani ovvero a cittadini di uno Stato dell’Unione Europea ovvero di altro Stato che riconosca ai cittadini italiani il diritto di prestare attività per servizi analoghi, che siano in possesso dei seguenti requisiti:

.... g. possedere un’autovettura assicurata ad uso pubblico , con polizza specifica per l’esercizio dell’attività per la quale si chiede la licenza o l’autorizzazione, per la responsabilità civile nei confronti di persone e/o cose, compreso i terzi trasportati;

3 - Exercise of the profession of (.....) is open to (....), who must fulfill the following requirements...

.... g. possess a vehicle insured for public use, with a policy specific to the type of licence or authorisation they've requested, covering public liability for people and/or things, including the parties being transported;

Various parts of those rules seem a reproduction of regulations that presumably nationally - however the ones for Bologna ask for drivers to have "con una copertura almeno doppia rispetto ai massimali minimi previsti dalla legge" - at least twice the minimum (insurance) cover required by law...

No sign of the same requirement in the core Naples rules - however I'm too bored (yawning my head off to tell the truth!) to look through the subsequent amendments, or to find what it is that the law requires.... sorry!

Good travel insurance is the answer - then they can sue to recover whatever they can..

Peter

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,912 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi from Naples port to Positano?

Sorry Peter - I didn't actually see that part of your earlier post re: the regs/rules.

I only reiterated the question because (1) I didn't see that part of your post and I apologize and (2) I thought you perhaps knew the info as you had noted there was a difference between the official taxis and car service companies.

So, I do apologize - did not expect you to do any work for me.

Of course, I will read up and investigate it more on my own.