We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Positano

davis
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rome to Positano

I am confused. What I want is the quickest, least complicated way to get to Positano from Rome (except by hiring a private car). From what I am deducing, the train is a couple of hours, and then it seems there is no other option other than to take a train from Naples to Sorrento and then on to Positano. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

sorrento
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Positano

Hi Giovanna!

The fast train (ES) is almost 2 hours from Rome to Napoli.

Then from Napoli centrale, walk to the Circumvesuviana tracks, and from there take the local train to Sorrento: a little more than an hour.

Once in Sorrento, catch a SITA bus to Positano: a little less than an hour.

The Sita stops above Positano: Chiesa Nuova or Sponda are the main stops...make sure you know where you are going and where is best for you to get off. From there, you might walk, do stairs, or take an "internal" yellow bus to get to your destination.

This is how you do it using public transportation, and doing it this way, from the moment you get on the train in Rome, it'll take at least 5 hours before you'll be in Positano.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to Positano

Isnt' there a ferry from Naples that stops in Positanto? How long does that take?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to Positano

oops, it's a little early, I did not mean to put the extra T in Positano.

sorrento
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome to Positano

1) I'm not sure how long it takes, but it doesn't take little time.

2) It's only in summer. check metrodelmare.-

3) It's not convenient if you are going to the upper part of Positano, or if you are getting to Naples by plane.