We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach hire prices, good grocers, casa maraschino, Popora

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
beach hire prices, good grocers, casa maraschino, Popora

How much is it to hire sun beds and umbrellas at the Spiaggia Grande and is it the same for Fornillo beach. Would the price be for the day so if I leave at lunchtime can I re-enter the beach again?

I will probably go self-catering so can anyone recommend a reasonably priced grocers (will not have a car). Thinking of Casa Maraschino (sleeps 5) but if other family members come possibly B and B Porpora (sleeps 7) Anyone stayed at these? Want a reasonable view of sea and not too high up as have young kids and don't want to have to catch the bus all the time. Will pay up to £1500 ish

Thanks.

SG

Texas
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach hire prices, good grocers, casa maraschino, Popora

Fornillo is less for the sunbeds (although I'm not sure of the exact amount) and yes the beds are for the day so you can come and go.

There are several small grocers, one not far from Casa Maraschino as its page on the summerinitaly website says.

Location - notice it's just off the main road, and the website says a mile and a half to the beach. All downhill going but a real pull coming back up to say the least (or the bus which you say you don't want to use although it's very convenient ad easy to use). I think you can get a good view lower than that with a quicker and easier walk if that matters to you.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beach hire prices, good grocers, casa maraschino, Popora

Thanks for your reply.

Not sure what to do about the accommodation as yet. You're right going down (the steps) would be okay but harder on the poor legs coming up!

SG

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach hire prices, good grocers, casa maraschino, Popora

Two years ago the beds at Fornillo were 7 euro for the day.

and yes you can come as go as you please. We did leave our towels on the beds.

Don't have any recommendations for a villa since we stayed in a Pensione.

We did not notice any large supermarkets but lots of small ones.

california
Level Contributor
101 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beach hire prices, good grocers, casa maraschino, Popora

Did you end up staying at Casa Maraschino? Looking at it for 2013 and curious what your experience was. I have 2 children 12 and 13. Would love to hear your comments.

Thanks!

california
Level Contributor
101 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beach hire prices, good grocers, casa maraschino, Popora

Did you end up staying at Casa Maraschino? Looking at it for 2013 and curious what your experience was. I have 2 children 12 and 13. Would love to hear your comments.

Thanks!

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beach hire prices, good grocers, casa maraschino, Popora

I didn't go to Italy in the end but always on the look out for good accommodation. If you stay in Positano you do not neccessarily need a pool but my children like the idea of coming out of where they are staying and going for a swim so Sorrento could be an option for that. It's less hassle of packing things up and going down the beach. Sorrento has quite a lot going on in the evening and is a busier place if you like that sort of thing. I have been to Positano before but it was a different set up and over 13 years ago and it was lire not euros. A lot of people have been telling me that Italy is very expensive these days so other countries seem more appealing but perhaps not so beautiful to look at such as the lovely Positano as the drive to it from Sorrento is breathtaking. I hope you enjoy Italy if you go!

SG.

Bendigo
Level Contributor
114 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beach hire prices, good grocers, casa maraschino, Popora

Hi there - 3 weeks ago the sun beds at Fornillo beach were still 7Euro (in the green and yellow umbrella section with Guido in charge!) I think the main beach might be a little more but not much. An advantage of Fornillo is that the cafes are closer to the beach chairs, and the food and drink prices are very reasonable. I paid 3 Euro for a Nastro Azzurro stubby (330ml)and 100gm pack of chips, and then we paid less than 10 euro each for lunches. Mark

Texas
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beach hire prices, good grocers, casa maraschino, Popora

Our children love Positano and the whole AC - and they love to swim, snorkel, jump off the rocks etc. In our experience Positano/Praiano are far better for that than Sorrento where there are no beaches and the bathing platforms don't lend themselves at al to these activities. Plus there is a steep walk down to the bathing platforms and a very steep walk back up.

CA family - Our kids are good walkers and not daunted by the AC steps but that's quite a drag back up to the main road for that rental from the beach although it looks very nice otherwise and we have found summerinitaly to be excellent. I wouldn't want to have to catch the bus all the time myself. I would also ask carefully about the noise as it's right by (but below which is better than above imho) the main road.

california
Level Contributor
101 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beach hire prices, good grocers, casa maraschino, Popora

Thank you for your reply~ We decided not to go with Casa Maraschino, for two reasons--first it was too high up the hill. I agree that I don't want to spend my time getting up and down. Second, there didn't appear to be any available shade on the terrace. I am a sun lover, but my husband likes the shade. If it is as hot as I hear in the end of July, we will need some shade. It sure is a beautiful villa besides. We went with Villa Debra A. It is smaller and has a much smaller terrace, but we (hopefully) gain a better location and easier access to the water. It is just below the road, so hopefully noise won't be an issue. Good to hear your kids enjoy the area so much! Any other suggestions or thoughts of things they love are appreciated! My son's 12th birthday and my husband's 40th will happen when we are there. Trying to come up with some ideas to celebrate. Not necessarily fancy, but just fun.

Thanks!

10. Re: beach hire prices, good grocers, casa maraschino, Popora

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 07:18